Date:	Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:57:22 +0930
From:	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
To:	Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Subject: Re: module: sysfs - add 'uevent' file to allow coldplug

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:17:49 +0200, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:00, Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au> wrote:
> > I apologize for skimming,
>
> Absolutely no problem. Asking such questions can not be wrong.

Sure, but as we know nothing is as abrupt as a hacker who has just
encountered their own ignorance :)

> > but this should be the *title* of the patch!
>
> Right, it's hard sometimes from 'inside' to make good titles that make
> titles that are properly understood 'outside'. If you have any better
> idea, please just change it.

Good observation; for me writing documentation serves this purpose.  I
renamed half the functions in the iptables code after I'd written the
user docs...

> > Now we've got that sorted, is there a reason why you changed all the
> > signatures rather than just using mod->mkobj in store_uevent()?
>
> Because we should be able to use the same 'struct module_attribute'
> for built-in modules and for loaded modules at the same time. The
> current 'struct module_attribute' has 'struct module' references, but
> 'struct module' will never exist for built-in modules.
>
> 'Struct module_kobject' has nice back-pointer to 'struct module', so
> this was the simplest to do, and looks still fine, I thought.

Yes, it's weird.  The only reason it currently works is because we don't
use the mod parameter in param_attr_show and param_attr_store; it's NULL
for built-in modules.

I'd prefer that patch first, I think: it's a sensible cleanup.

Thanks,
Rusty.