Date:	Fri, 5 Aug 2011 02:47:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
cc:	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>
Subject: Crash when suspending Lenovo T510 laptop (2.6.39.3)

Hi

I just experienced a kernel crash when trying to suspend my Lenovo
Thinkpad T510 (model 4384-GJG) laptop.

Normally I just shut the lid and the little moon icon lights up telling me
that the laptop has suspended. This time was different; the moon icon
didn't light up as it usually does, so I opened the lid again and found a
kernel crash dump on the screen. The machine was completely dead at this
point, so all I could do was take a photo of the screen - nothing had made
it to the log files either (checked after a reboot).

The image I took of the screen with the crash info is available here:
 http://personal.chaosbits.net/suspend-crash.jpg

The kernel version is 2.6.39.3
The kernel config is attached as '2.6.39.3-config.gz'
The distribution is Arch Linux 64bit.

Here is a partial transcript of the image (typed in manually, so check the
image if you suspect an error - I also left out function addresses/offsets
and other details before/after the backtrace to save me some typing, so
check the image for the full details) :

Call Trace:
  ? wq_worker_sleeping
  schedule
  ? cfq_put_queue
  ? cic_free_func
  ? kmem_cache_free
  ? put_io_context
  do_exit
  oops_end
  die
  do_trap
  do_invalid_op
  ? free_msi_irqs
  ? find_busiest_group
  ? pci_conf1_write
  pci_disable_msi
  e1000e_reset_interrupt_capabillity
  __e1000_runtime_suspend
  ? __switch_to
  pci_pm_runtime_suspend
  ? pci_legacy_suspend_late
  rpm_callback
  ? schedule
  rpm_suspend
  ? linkwatch_do_dev
  ? pm_schedule_suspend
  pm_runtime_work
  process_one_work
  worker_thread
  ? manage_workers.isra.29
  kthread
  kernel_thread_helper
  ? kthread_worker
  ? gs_change

I've not experienced this before with this kernel, nor with earlier or
newer ones, so it's not exactely reproducible on demand, so it's anyones
guess when this was introduced (or if it's been there for ages, just
triggers rarely)...

One detail that may be relevant; normally when I suspend the laptop I do
so before unplugging any cables or suspend after not having anything
plugged in for ages (or at all). This time I was in a hurry, so I quickly
unplugged the power, 3 usb cables and the ethernet cable and then quickly
slammed the lid shut. Not sure if that has an impact on triggering this
though. I tried reproducing that scenario 4-5 times, but the laptop
suspended fine when I did that.

If you require further information then please let me know and I'll be
happy to provide it.

I'll of course try to submit more details if it happens again, but if
someone has a good guess as to how to provoke it or an idea for a fix I'd
sure like to know.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>       http://www.chaosbits.net/
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

Download attachment "2.6.39.3-config.gz" of type "APPLICATION/octet-stream" (30971 bytes)