Date:	Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:25:27 +0800
From:	Sha <handai.szj@...il.com>
To:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
CC:	Ying Han <yinghan@...gle.com>,
	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Balbir Singh <bsingharora@...il.com>, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 2/2] mm: memcg: hierarchical soft limit reclaim

On 01/18/2012 05:25 PM, Johannes Weiner wrote:

>>> Because A2 is over its soft limit, the whole hierarchy below it should
>>> be preferred over A1, so both B1 and B2 should be soft limit reclaimed
>>> to be consistent with behaviour at the root level.
>> Well it is just the behavior that I'm expecting actually. But with my
>> humble comprehension, I can't catch the soft-limit-based hierarchical
>> reclaiming under the target cgroup (A2) in the current implementation
>> or after the patch. Both the current mem_cgroup_soft_reclaim or
>> shrink_zone select victim sub-cgroup by mem_cgroup_iter, but it
>> doesn't take soft limit into consideration, do I left anything ?
> No, currently soft limits are ignored if pressure originates from
> below root_mem_cgroup.
>
> But iff soft limits are applied right now, they are applied
> hierarchically, see mem_cgroup_soft_limit_reclaim().
Er... I'm even more confused: mem_cgroup_soft_limit_reclaim indeed
choses the biggest soft-limit excessor first, but in the succeeding reclaim
mem_cgroup_hierarchical_reclaim just selects a child cgroup  by css_id
which has nothing to do with soft limit (see mem_cgroup_select_victim).
IMHO, it's not a genuine hierarchical reclaim.
I check this from the latest memcg-devel git tree (branch since-3.1)...