Date:	Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:25:46 +0200
From:	Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad@...yossef.com>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux.com>,
	Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@...era.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>,
	Sasha Levin <levinsasha928@...il.com>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>, Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>,
	Alexander Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>,
	Michal Nazarewicz <mina86@...a86.com>,
	Kosaki Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...il.com>,
	Milton Miller <miltonm@....com>
Subject: Re: [v7 0/8] Reduce cross CPU IPI interference

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 12:01 +0200, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> > Gilad Ben-Yossef (8):
> >   smp: introduce a generic on_each_cpu_mask function
> >   arm: move arm over to generic on_each_cpu_mask
> >   tile: move tile to use generic on_each_cpu_mask
> >   smp: add func to IPI cpus based on parameter func
> >   slub: only IPI CPUs that have per cpu obj to flush
> >   fs: only send IPI to invalidate LRU BH when needed
> >   mm: only IPI CPUs to drain local pages if they exist
>
> These patches look very nice!
>
> Acked-by: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>

Thank you :-)

If this is of interest, I keep a list tracking global IPI and global
task schedulers sources in the core kernel here:
https://github.com/gby/linux/wiki.

I plan to visit all these potential interference source to see if
something can be done to lower their effect on
isolated CPUs over time.

> >   mm: add vmstat counters for tracking PCP drains
> >
> I understood from previous postings this patch wasn't meant for
> inclusion, if it is, note that cpumask_weight() is a potentially very
> expensive operation.

Right. The only purpose of the patch is to show the usefulness
of the previous patch in the series. It is not meant for mainline.

Thanks,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"Unfortunately, cache misses are an equal opportunity pain provider."
-- Mike Galbraith, LKML