Date:	Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:35:45 -0500
From:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....EDU>
To:	Richard Yao <ryao@...stonybrook.edu>
Cc:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@...rovitsch.priv.at>,
	Henrik Rydberg <rydberg@...omail.se>,
	Bobby Powers <bobbypowers@...il.com>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Guenter Roeck <guenter.roeck@...csson.com>,
	Jidong Xiao <jidong.xiao@...il.com>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Can we move device drivers into user-space?

On Feb 26, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Richard Yao wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I think you have me confused with Jidong Xiao. He is the one who
> suggested moving things to userspace. I happened to see the
> conversation, noticed people had missed a few points and added them in
> an attempt to be helpful. If you look at my emails to the mailing
> list, you would see that I had said that this work should be done
> elsewhere. The email to which you had replied was one that was meant
> to say that if people were set on having those interested in doing
> this to work with LInux, it should be okay for them to brainstorm on
> the LKML.

The problem is that there are a huge number of crackpots out there, and Linux is popular enough that many of them tend to gravitate to the LKML.    If they want to brainstorm, that's fine; but don't expect senior kernel developers to necessarily pay a lot of attention.

It would be like people insisting on being able to brainstorm about whether it's possible to square the circle, or solve the halting problem, on some abstract math theorist's mailing list.   It's possible they might be on the verge of a massive breakthrough, but when I was one of the postmaster of MIT, I got to field enough of these folks asking if we could make sure the chair of the math department would take a look at their proof, because they couldn't get anyone else to pay attention….

There is an old saying, "code talks, bullshit walks".    If someone is known to have produced real code, then people are much more likely to take the time to respond.    If someone hasn't yet produced real code, it's better if they try it, and show at least some kind of interesting result, before they try to waste a lot of people's time working on their pet theories.

And if they want to go do this "value add" on the FreeBSD list, I'd encourage them to do it, except I don't think I would be thanked by the FreeBSD folks….

-- Ted