Date:	Wed, 4 Apr 2012 04:29:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Mike Galbraith <mgalbraith@...e.de>
cc:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	Li Zefan <lizf@...fujitsu.com>,
	Paul Menage <paul@...lmenage.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [patch] cgroups: disallow attaching kthreadd

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > We've been through this several times now iterating between two different
> > functional changes.  I appreciate the persistence, but please, again,
> > explain why you are doing this at the cgroups level rather than the
> > cpusets level?
> >
> > The last time we discussed this, you had proposed a patch to only do this
> > for cpusets after the points I'm about to bring up for the fifth time.
> > Peter ended up not responding and as I remember it didn't have strong
> > feelings against doing it only for cpusets.  And here we are, yet again,
> > back to the cgroups version.
>
> Suggest a third version.

I've already acked your kernel/cpuset.c version as an extension of
6d7b2f5f9e88 ("cpusets: prevent PF_THREAD_BOUND tasks from attaching
to non-root cpusets") which took care of PF_THREAD_BOUND attachment back
in 2.6.30.

The undeniable fact is that PF_THREAD_BOUND is special for cpusets since
we can't possibly allow its cpu affinity to change after kthread_bind()
and we don't want inconsistencies in our cpusets whereas threads attached
to a cpuset can have a disjoint set of allowable nodes.  Do we special
case PF_THREAD_BOUND for any other cgroup?  No.  And that's what you're
trying to introduce here and it's completely unnecessary.

> Ok, so you NAK this way, Peter NAKS the other way, and the bug lives on
> forever.  So be it.

I've never seen a nack from Peter on this, I only remember discussing
whether this needs to be isolated to only cpusets or whether it needs to
be a generic cgroup thing and I've always argued in favor of localizing it
to cpusets because that cgroup happens to care about cpu affinity where
others don't and this is why cgroups have ->can_attach() functions.  If a
cgroup were created to have nothing to do with cpu affinity (only for
collecting statistics for threads within it, for example), there's
absolutely no reason why we need to exclude kthreadd.

You know I've been very supportive of getting this fix included for
cpusets in the past and I very much appreciate your time and patience in
the review cycle.  I'm hoping we can finally do this.