Date:	Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:49:34 +0300
From:	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:	Sergio Correia <lists@...e.net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	stable@...r.kernel.org, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	Sujith Manoharan <c_manoha@....qualcomm.com>,
	"ath9k-devel@...ts.ath9k.org" <ath9k-devel@...ema.h4ckr.net>,
	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
Subject: Re: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 04:32:40PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:

>> > It does?  What is the git commit id of the patch?  Based in the email
>> > above, I assumed it had not made it to Linus's tree already.
>>
>> It's a revert of c1afdaff90538ef085b756454f12b29575411214, so so just
>> take a look at the code in c1afdaff90538ef085b756454f12b29575411214^.

>> > What rule did you think I was saying this was not acceptable for?
>>
>> The fact that the patch as not been applied/reviewed/accepted upstream.
>>
>> Personally I don't see what is the problem with reverts; we already
>> know the previous code was working. Sure, in theory it might behave
>> different due to other changes, but that doesn't seem to be the case
>> here, plus, it can't be worst than the current situation of staying in
>> an endless loop.
>
> A revert is the same as a patch.  It needs to be in Linus's tree before
> I can add it to the stable releases.

Right, because otherwise people's systems would actually work.

But hey, as I said, following rules is more important, regardless of
what the rules are, and why they are there. The rules that actually
triggered this issue in v3.3.1, as this is not in v3.3.

You could just accept that the patch should have never landed in
v3.3.1 in the first place, but it's much easier to arbitrarily keep
stacking patches without thinking too much about them.

I guess I'll better use Linus's releases for now and go to v3.3.

--
Felipe Contreras