Date:	Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:32:42 +0000
From:	"Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@...el.com>
To:	Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@....com>
CC:	Jan Beulich <JBeulich@...e.com>,
	"Auld, Will" <will.auld@...el.com>,
	Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@...rix.com>,
	"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@...el.com>, Keir Fraser <keir@....org>,
	"Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
	"Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@...el.com>,
	"Li, Susie" <susie.li@...el.com>,
	"Shan, Haitao" <haitao.shan@...el.com>,
	"Dugger, Donald D" <donald.d.dugger@...el.com>,
	"xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com" <xen-devel@...ts.xensource.com>,
	"Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@...el.com>,
	"Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [xen vMCE RFC V0.2] xen vMCE design

Thanks AMD's feedback :)

This vMCE design foils is basically for Intel MCA, involving many details specific to Intel.
I agree that for x86 Intel and AMD can share logic in many fields. However, for MCA logic Intel and AMD are quite different, like
1. MSRs interface, e.g. MCG_CAP, MCi_MICS, MCi_CTL2, etc;
2. error injection, AMD provide NMI/single MCE/broadcast MCE, while in our design only concern broadcast MCE# (and pretend to expose CMCI);
3. MCE handler: currently in xen Intel and AMD mce use different triggle method and mce handler;

Considering the big difference, I suggest we separately provide Intel vMCE and AMD vMCE (i.e. vmce_intel.c and vmce_amd.c).

Thanks,
Jinsong