Date:	Fri, 21 Sep 2012 19:41:43 +0300
From:	Thanasis <thanasis@...r.hopto.org>
To:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
CC:	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Hayes Wang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>
Subject: Re: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

on 09/21/2012 06:28 PM Francois Romieu wrote the following:
> Thanasis <thanasis@...r.hopto.org> :
>> on 09/21/2012 02:20 AM Francois Romieu wrote the following:
> [...]
>>> Thanasis, can you narrow down a bit the failing revision ?
>>
>> Sure, let me know how to do it please.
>
> A rough kernel estimate had been enough. Nevermind.
>
> You will find a hopefully not too quick 2.6.38 backport at :
>
> git://violet.fr.zoreil.com/romieu/r8169
>
> It does not reach the current in-kernel r8169.c state - call me lazy - but
> stops somewhere between 3.2 and 3.3. While only 76 commits long, it should
> be enough to spot a r8169 regression.
>
> Assuming you run a 2.6.38-something kernel whose build tree lays at the
> usual place, the included makefile will build a out-of-kernel r8169 driver.

In order to run the following steps, should I be running (should I boot)
the system with the 2.6.38-8 or the 3.5.4 kernel?
What kernel source trees do I need to have under /usr/src ?
Do I need to run make clean/mrproper beforehand?
Does it matter which source tree the /usr/src/linux symlink points to?