Date:	Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:24:58 +0000
From:	KY Srinivasan <kys@...rosoft.com>
To:	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
CC:	"gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	"devel@...uxdriverproject.org" <devel@...uxdriverproject.org>,
	"olaf@...fle.de" <olaf@...fle.de>,
	"apw@...onical.com" <apw@...onical.com>,
	"jasowang@...hat.com" <jasowang@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: 3.7 RC1

Thanks Dan; I am curious  to understand the basis for your assertion.
As I noted earlier  the documentation for this function clearly says it can
be called from any context. Furthermore, __orderly_poweroff(), the helper
function allocates memory with the GFP_ATOMIC flag set. Lastly, the behavior
of orderly_poweroff() has been such that this function could be called from interrupt context
for a very long time and something has changed now. For what it is worth, there are other users in
the kernel (in 3.7 RC1) that are invoking the orderly_poweroff() function from interrupt
context other than the Hyper-V shutdown handler:  fsl_hv_shutdown_isr() in drivers/virt/fsl_hypervisor.c.
I suspect there are other users as well that have made this similar assumption.

Regards,

K. Y