Date:	Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:07:49 +0900
From:	Yasuaki Ishimatsu <isimatu.yasuaki@...fujitsu.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
CC:	Wen Congyang <wency@...fujitsu.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
	<linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>, Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>,
	Lai Jiangshan <laijs@...fujitsu.com>,
	Jiang Liu <jiang.liu@...wei.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>,
	Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@...com>
Subject: Re: [Patch v5 0/7] acpi,memory-hotplug: implement framework for hot
 removing memory

Hi Rafael,

2012/11/16 9:28, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> [...]
>> The memory device can be removed by 2 ways:
>> 1. send eject request by SCI
>> 2. echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/PNP0C80:XX/eject
>>
>> In the 1st case, acpi_memory_disable_device() will be called.
>> In the 2nd case, acpi_memory_device_remove() will be called.
>> acpi_memory_device_remove() will also be called when we unbind the
>> memory device from the driver acpi_memhotplug or a driver initialization
>> fails.
>>
>> acpi_memory_disable_device() has already implemented a code which
>> offlines memory and releases acpi_memory_info struct . But
>> acpi_memory_device_remove() has not implemented it yet.
>>
>> So the patch prepares the framework for hot removing memory and
>> adds the framework into acpi_memory_device_remove().
>>
>> We may hotremove the memory device by this 2 ways at the same time.
>> So we remove the function acpi_memory_disable_device(), and use
>> acpi_bus_hot_remove_device() which is used by 2nd case to implement it.
>> We lock device in acpi_bus_hot_remove_device(), so there is no
>> need to add lock in acpi_memhotplug.
>>
>> The last version of this patchset is here:
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/8/121
>>
>> Note:
>> 1. The following commit in pm tree can be dropped now(The other two patches
>>     are already dropped):
>>     54c4c7db6cb94d7d1217df6d7fca6847c61744ab
>> 2. This patchset requires the following patch(It is in pm tree now)
>>     https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/1/225
>>
>> Changes from v4 to v5:
>> 1. patch2: new patch. use acpi_bus_hot_remove_device() to implement memory
>>     device hotremove.
>>
>> Changes from v3 to v4:
>> 1. patch1: unlock list_lock when removing memory fails.
>> 2. patch2: just rebase them
>> 3. patch3-7: these patches are in -mm tree, and they conflict with this
>>     patchset, so Adrew Morton drop them from -mm tree. I rebase and merge
>>     them into this patchset.
>>
>> Wen Congyang (6):
>>    acpi,memory-hotplug: deal with eject request in hotplug queue
>>    acpi_memhotplug.c: fix memory leak when memory device is unbound from
>>      the module acpi_memhotplug
>>    acpi_memhotplug.c: free memory device if acpi_memory_enable_device()
>>      failed
>>    acpi_memhotplug.c: don't allow to eject the memory device if it is
>>      being used
>>    acpi_memhotplug.c: bind the memory device when the driver is being
>>      loaded
>>    acpi_memhotplug.c: auto bind the memory device which is hotplugged
>>      before the driver is loaded
>>
>> Yasuaki Ishimatsu (1):
>>    acpi,memory-hotplug : add memory offline code to
>>      acpi_memory_device_remove()
>
> Well, I have tried _really_ hard to apply this patchset, but pretty much
> none of the patches except for [1/7] applied for me.  I have no idea what
> tree they are against, but I'm pretty sure it's not my tree.
>
> I _have_ applied patches [1-4/7] and pushed them to linux-pm.git/linux-next.

I checked your tree and found a mistake.
You merged a following patch into your tree.

commitid:2ba281f1
ACPI / memory-hotplug: introduce a mutex lock to protect the list
in acpi_memory_device

But it is wrong.

[1/7] patch is "acpi,memory-hotplug : add memory offline code to
acpi_memory_device_remove()". So we would like you to merge it
instead of commitid:2ba281f1.

Thanks,
Yasuaki Ishimatsu