Date:	Tue, 04 Jun 2013 14:07:29 +0930
From:	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>
To:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>,
	Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@...atus.com>
	stable@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Please add to stable:  module: don't unlink the module until we've removed all exposure.

Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com> writes:

>> It at least works around the problem for me as well.  But, a more rare
>> migration/[0-3] (I think) related lockup still exists in 3.9.4 for me,
>> so I will also try applying that other kobject patch and continue testing
>> today...
>
> Well, that other kobject patch is already in 3.9.4, so I think it's still
> a good idea to include the
> "module: don't unlink the module until we've removed all exposure."
> patch in stable.  I have a decent test case to reproduce the crash, so if someone
> wants me to test other patches instead, then I will do so.

I understand your eagerness to have this resolved, but we need to
understand the problem.  The fix you asked for in stable was supposed to
be cosmetic, to avoid the sysfs warning.  But it did serve to stress the
cleanup path, which may still have lurking bugs!

I reproduced the oops myself on 3.8.  I will chase it on 3.9.4, too.

Thanks,
Rusty.