Date:	Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:40:09 -0700
From:	Kamal Mostafa <kamal@...onical.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>, Li Zefan <lizefan@...wei.com>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
	Glauber Costa <glommer@...nvz.org>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	kernel-team@...ts.ubuntu.com, stable@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ 3.8.y.z extended stable ] Patch "memcg, kmem: fix reference
 count handling on the error path" has been added to staging queue

On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 16:06 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:54:02 -0700 Kamal Mostafa <kamal@...onical.com> wrote:
>
> > This is a note to let you know that I have just added a patch titled
> >
> >     memcg, kmem: fix reference count handling on the error path
> >
> > to the linux-3.8.y-queue branch of the 3.8.y.z extended stable tree
> > which can be found at:
>
> hm, why.

Because it said "Cc: <stable@...r.kernel.org> [3.8]", making me think
the author specifically wanted it to be applied to 3.8-stable.

>[...]
> Note to stable tree maintainers: I carefully evaluate every patch I
> handle to decide whether or not it should be backported.  Every single
> one.

Might you consider stripping off the "Cc: stable [3.8]" line when you
add your SOB, in such a case?

> Hence if you decide to backport a patch which I merged, you are
> overriding an earlier decision of mine.

I'm happy to defer to your judgment here.  I've dropped it from the
linux-3.8.y-queue.

> Now, I will freely admit that I may have made a mistake.  But please be
> aware that you are taking a path which I have already considered and
> rejected.  So a little extra care is warranted for akpm patches, please.

I'll try to watch out for them.

Thanks Andrew,

 -Kamal

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)