Date:	Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:40:18 +0530
From:	Ramkumar Ramachandra <artagnon@...il.com>
To:	Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>, Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>,
	Olivier Galibert <galibert@...ox.com>,
	David Lang <david@...g.hm>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>,
	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	stable <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
	Darren Hart <dvhart@...ux.intel.com>,
	ksummit-2013-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML

Sarah Sharp wrote:
> I do smile often in email. :)  And be sad. :( And be apologetic. :-/
> Smug. ^~^  Angry. >:[  Sarcastic. ;)  Trolling/crazy. 8)  D'oh. (>.<)
> Worried. (>_>);  Disappointed. (-_-)  Kitty! =^_^=  Meow!
>
> Be creative.  There are ways of expressing emotion without cussing.

Personally, I think the whole issue of swearing on-list is taken way
too seriously [1].  There are many ways of expressing emotion;
considering one such form "unprofessional" is just a form of
suffocation.  Members of the mailing list automatically pick up on the
influential styles (i.e. the styles of the active participants and
effective communicators).  If you think your style is "better",
there's exactly one way to verify the claim: you participate actively;
your style will automatically rub off on the others if it is shown to
be effective.

[1]: http://youtu.be/7raS7hmLkAA