Date:	Sun, 06 Oct 2013 03:42:35 -0500
From:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To:	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>
Cc:	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...ldses.org>,
	Zach Brown <zab@...hat.com>,
	Anna Schumaker <schumaker.anna@...il.com>,
	Linux-Fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>,
	Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@...app.com>,
	Bryan Schumaker <bjschuma@...app.com>,
	"Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@....net>, Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>,
	Mark Fasheh <mfasheh@...e.com>,
	Joel Becker <jlbec@...lplan.org>,
	Eric Wong <normalperson@...t.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC] extending splice for copy offloading

On 09/26/2013 01:06:41 PM, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM, J. Bruce Fields
> <bfields@...ldses.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:58:05AM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> degree, and
> undefined
> constant-time

> copying the
> client,
> >>
> >> Yes.  And if "cp"  could just be switched from a read+write syscall
> >> pair to a single splice syscall using the same buffer size.
> >
> > Will the various magic fs-specific copy operations become
> inefficient
> > when the range copied is too small?
>
> We could treat spice-copy operations just like write operations (can
> be buffered, coalesced, synced).
>
> But I'm not sure it's worth the effort; 99% of the use of this
> interface will be copying whole files.

My "patch" implementation (in busybox and toybox) hits a point where it
wants to copy the rest of the file, once there are no more hunks to
apply. This is not copying a whole file. A similar thing happens with
tail when you use the +N syntax to skip start instead of end lines. I
can see sed doing a similar thing when told to operate on line ranges...

Note sure your 99% holds up here.

Rob--