Date:	Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:17:18 +0200
From:	Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@...il.com>
To:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:	Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>,
	"linux-next@...r.kernel.org" <linux-next@...r.kernel.org>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Oct 24

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:02:28AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 04:17:08PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 06:43:53AM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:

> > > Yeah, that's what happened with the GPIO subsystem on this release --
> > > there are two build errors but your fix resolves one of them such at
> > > the other one is exposed. It makes it confusing to bisect down to root
> > > cause. I'd almost rather have your tree just being broken, but patches
> > > submitted and sent in to the maintainer in question if you want to get
> > > it fixed ASAP.
> >
> > I guess I could probably just push the final merge commit as a tree, but
> > it would require me to very strongly resist my compulsive urge not to
> > push something that doesn't even build.
> >
> "Doesn't even build" is relative, though. After all, there still _are_
> 18 build failures out of 106 in my test builds alone. Where do you draw
> the line ? arm failures are bad, who cares about blackfin ?

Well, I've been doing x86, ARM and PowerPC builds and of those only 3
are failing and I didn't fix them because I didn't really know how to.
But you're right, I guess one has to draw the line somewhere, and if
people prefer the tree to just be broken rather than with odd fixes on
top, then that's the way it going to be.

For now I've settled on pushing a branch which has only the fixes that
are required to make the trees work happily together and a separate tag
which has the patches that unbreak subsystem trees.

The reason I usually want linux-next to build is because I know that
various people rely on it for their daily work, so my reasoning was that
if I fix it before they even start using it, then they get to spend
their time with something more useful and only one person ends up fixing
the build issues instead of everyone.

Thierry