Date:	Wed, 6 Nov 2013 12:21:02 -0800
From:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
Cc:	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...ntu.com>,
	Brad Spengler <spender@...ecurity.net>,
	Christian Seiler <christian@...kd.de>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andy Whitcroft <apw@...onical.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Lxc development list <lxc-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: CLONE_PARENT after setns(CLONE_NEWPID)

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com> wrote:
> On 11/06, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Serge,

>> > Thanks...
>> >
>> > Yes, this is what 40a0d32d1ea explicitly tries to disallow.

>> > I am not sure... This all was based on the long discussion, and
>> > it was decided that the CLONE_PARENT check should be consistent
>> > wrt CLONE_NEWPID and pidns_for_children != task_active_pid_ns().

>> > Well, usually we do not break user-space, but I am not sure about
>> > this case...
>>
>> Presumably if we allow this, then we should also allow
>> clone(CLONE_NEWPID | CLONE_PARENT).
>
> Yes, agreed. but this means another change, this was forbidden even
> before this commit.

I'm really not a fan of allowing things by one path but disallowing
them by another.  That way lurk hidden bugs and
incomprehensibilities...

>> This seems a little odd, but off
>> the top of my head it doesn't seem obviously dangerous.
>
> I do not see any "strong" reason too. At least right now... But I would
> say that it would be better to not allow to abuse ->real_parent, it
> doesn't event know about the new child (if CLONE_PARENT).

I'm not sure what namespaces have to do with this, though.  The
grandparent may be surprised to acquire a new child, but I don't see
why it would care about the security context of that child.

I admit that this stuff is complicated, but I don't see the problem
that any of this is trying to prevent.

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC