Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:07:43 +0000
From:	Dietmar Eggemann <dietmar.eggemann@....com>
To:	Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>
CC:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	"mingo@...nel.org" <mingo@...nel.org>,
	"tony.luck@...el.com" <tony.luck@...el.com>,
	"fenghua.yu@...el.com" <fenghua.yu@...el.com>,
	"schwidefsky@...ibm.com" <schwidefsky@...ibm.com>,
	"james.hogan@...tec.com" <james.hogan@...tec.com>,
	"cmetcalf@...era.com" <cmetcalf@...era.com>,
	"benh@...nel.crashing.org" <benh@...nel.crashing.org>,
	"linux@....linux.org.uk" <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
	"preeti@...ux.vnet.ibm.com" <preeti@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"linaro-kernel@...ts.linaro.org" <linaro-kernel@...ts.linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/6] rework sched_domain topology description

On 12/03/14 13:47, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> On 12 March 2014 14:28, Dietmar Eggemann <dietmar.eggemann@....com> wrote:

>>> So a problem with such an interfaces is that is makes it far too easy to
>>> generate completely broken domains.
>>
>> I see the point. What I'm still struggling with is to understand why
>> this interface is worse then the one where we set-up additional,
>> adjacent sd levels with new cpu_foo_mask functions plus different static
>> sd-flags configurations and rely on the sd degenerate functionality in
>> the core scheduler to fold these levels together to achieve different
>> per cpu sd flags configurations.
>
> The main difference is that all CPUs has got the same levels at the
> initial state and then the degenerate sequence can decide that it's
> worth removing a level and if it will not create unsuable domains.

Agreed. But what I'm trying to say is that using the approach of
multiple adjacent sd levels with different cpu_mask(int cpu) functions
and static sd topology flags will not prevent us from coding the
enforcement of sane sd topology flags set-ups somewhere inside the core
scheduler.

It is possible to easily introduce erroneous set-ups from the standpoint
of sd topology flags with this approach too.

For the sake of an example on ARM TC2 platform, I changed
cpu_corepower_mask(int cpu) [arch/arm/kernel/topology.c] to simulate
that in socket 1 (3 Cortex-A7) cores can powergate individually whereas
in socket 0 (2 Cortex A15) they can't:

 const struct cpumask *cpu_corepower_mask(int cpu)
 {
-       return &cpu_topology[cpu].thread_sibling;
+       return cpu_topology[cpu].socket_id ?
&cpu_topology[cpu].thread_sibling :
+                       &cpu_topology[cpu].core_sibling;
 }

With this I get the following cpu mask configuration:

dmesg snippet (w/ additional debug in cpu_coregroup_mask(),
cpu_corepower_mask()):

CPU0: cpu_corepower_mask=0-1
CPU0: cpu_coregroup_mask=0-1
CPU1: cpu_corepower_mask=0-1
CPU1: cpu_coregroup_mask=0-1
CPU2: cpu_corepower_mask=2
CPU2: cpu_coregroup_mask=2-4
CPU3: cpu_corepower_mask=3
CPU3: cpu_coregroup_mask=2-4
CPU4: cpu_corepower_mask=4
CPU4: cpu_coregroup_mask=2-4

And I deliberately introduced the following error into the
arm_topology[] table:

 static struct sched_domain_topology_level arm_topology[] = {
 #ifdef CONFIG_SCHED_MC
-       { cpu_corepower_mask, SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES |
SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN, SD_INIT_NAME(GMC) },
+       { cpu_corepower_mask, SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN, SD_INIT_NAME(GMC) },
        { cpu_coregroup_mask, SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES, SD_INIT_NAME(MC) },

With this set-up, I get GMC & DIE level for CPU0,1 and MC & DIE level
for CPU2,3,4, i.e. the SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES flag is only set for
CPU2,3,4 and MC level.

dmesg snippet (w/ adapted sched_domain_debug_one(), only CPU0 and CPU2
shown here):

CPU0 attaching sched-domain:
domain 0: span 0-1 level GMC
SD_LOAD_BALANCE SD_BALANCE_NEWIDLE SD_BALANCE_EXEC SD_BALANCE_FORK
SD_WAKE_AFFINE SD_SHARE_POWERDOMAIN SD_PREFER_SIBLING
groups: 0 1
domain 1: span 0-4 level DIE
SD_LOAD_BALANCE SD_BALANCE_NEWIDLE SD_BALANCE_EXEC SD_BALANCE_FORK
SD_WAKE_AFFINE SD_PREFER_SIBLING
groups: 0-1 (cpu_power = 2048) 2-4 (cpu_power = 3072)
CPU2 attaching sched-domain:
domain 0: span 2-4 level MC
SD_LOAD_BALANCE SD_BALANCE_NEWIDLE SD_BALANCE_EXEC SD_BALANCE_FORK
SD_WAKE_AFFINE SD_SHARE_PKG_RESOURCES
groups: 2 3 4
domain 1: span 0-4 level DIE
SD_LOAD_BALANCE SD_BALANCE_NEWIDLE SD_BALANCE_EXEC SD_BALANCE_FORK
SD_WAKE_AFFINE SD_PREFER_SIBLING
groups: 2-4 (cpu_power = 3072) 0-1 (cpu_power = 2048)

What I wanted to say is IMHO, it doesn't matter which approach we take
(multiple adjacent sd levels or per-cpu topo sd flag function), we have
to enforce sane sd topology flags set-up inside the core scheduler anyway.

-- Dietmar

>> IMHO, exposing struct sched_domain_topology_level bar_topology[] to the
>> arch is the reason why the core scheduler has to check if the arch
>> provides a sane sd setup in both cases.
>>

>>> You can, for two cpus in the same domain provide, different flags; such
>>> a configuration doesn't make any sense at all.
>>>
>>> Now I see why people would like to have this; but unless we can make it
>>> robust I'd be very hesitant to go this route.
>>>

>> By making it robust, I guess you mean that the core scheduler has to
>> check that the provided set-ups are sane, something like the following
>> code snippet in sd_init()
>>
>> if (WARN_ONCE(tl->sd_flags & ~TOPOLOGY_SD_FLAGS,
>>                 "wrong sd_flags in topology description\n"))
>>         tl->sd_flags &= ~TOPOLOGY_SD_FLAGS;
>>
>> but for per cpu set-up's.
>> Obviously, this check has to be in sync with the usage of these flags in
>> the core scheduler algorithms. This comprises probably that a subset of
>> these topology sd flags has to be set for all cpus in a sd level whereas
>> other can be set only for some cpus.
[...]