Date:	Tue, 27 May 2014 15:04:13 -0500
From:	Jeff Smith <jsmith.lkml@...il.com>
To:	Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk@....de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
	linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>,
	John McCutchan <john@...nmccutchan.com>,
	Robert Love <rlove@...ve.org>,
	Eric Paris <eparis@...isplace.org>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: inotify_rm_watch() user-space safety requirements?

Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for looking into this. I've never encountered the aliasing via
wraparound or otherwise, but I've tried to code against unexpected
descriptor reuse anyway through more flexible workarounds. From a user
standpoint, denser descriptor reassignment would be preferable to
facilitate simple dense linear mappings of cache objects, but it's
easy to see why things were designed as they were given the queue
entry persistence. Getting current behavior accurately documented is
my first hope, and fixing any gotcha cases my second, but being able
to have inotify_add_watch/read look and feel more like
open/epoll_ctl(EPOLL_CTL_ADD))/epoll_wait would be my ultimate wish.
The asynchronous-feeling handle removal is not a great interface in
general to deal with.

Best regards,
Jeff