Date:	Tue, 27 May 2014 16:05:16 -0400
From:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
To:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>
Cc:	linux-mm@...ck.org, Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>,
	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 8/9] mm: memcontrol: rewrite charge API

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 04:54:13PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 30-04-14 16:25:42, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> > The memcg charge API charges pages before they are rmapped - i.e. have
> > an actual "type" - and so every callsite needs its own set of charge
> > and uncharge functions to know what type is being operated on.
> >
> > Rewrite the charge API to provide a generic set of try_charge(),
> > commit_charge() and cancel_charge() transaction operations, much like
> > what's currently done for swap-in:
> >
> >   mem_cgroup_try_charge() attempts to reserve a charge, reclaiming
> >   pages from the memcg if necessary.
> >
> >   mem_cgroup_commit_charge() commits the page to the charge once it
> >   has a valid page->mapping and PageAnon() reliably tells the type.
> >
> >   mem_cgroup_cancel_charge() aborts the transaction.
> >
> > As pages need to be committed after rmap is established but before
> > they are added to the LRU, page_add_new_anon_rmap() must stop doing
> > LRU additions again.  Factor lru_cache_add_active_or_unevictable().
> >
> > The order of functions in mm/memcontrol.c is entirely random, so this
> > new charge interface is implemented at the end of the file, where all
> > new or cleaned up, and documented code should go from now on.
>
> I would prefer moving them after refactoring because the reviewing is
> really harder this way. If such moving is needed at all.

I find it incredibly cumbersome to work with this code because of the
ordering.  Sure, you use the search function of the editor, but you
don't even know whether to look above or below, half of the hits are
forward declarations etc.  Crappy code attracts more crappy code, so I
feel strongly that we clean this up and raise the bar for the future.

As to the ordering: I chose this way because this really is a
fundamental rewrite, and I figured it would be *easier* to read if you
have the entire relevant code show up in the diff.  I.e. try_charge()
is fully included, right next to its API entry function.

If this doesn't work for you - the reviewer - I'm happy to change it
around and move the code separately.

> size is saying the code is slightly bigger:
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>  487977   84898   45984  618859   9716b mm/built-in.o.7
>  488276   84898   45984  619158   97296 mm/built-in.o.8
>
> No biggie though.
>
> It is true it get's rid of ~80LOC in memcontrol.c but it adds some more
> outside of memcg. Most of the charging paths didn't get any easier, they
> already know the type and they have to make sure they even commit the
> charge now.
>
> But maybe it is just me feeling that now that we have
> mem_cgroup_charge_{anon,file,swapin} the API doesn't look so insane
> anymore and so I am not tempted to change it that much.

I should have been a little clearer in the changelog: this is mainly
to make sure we never commit pages before their rmapping is
established so that not only charging, but also uncharging can be
drastically simplified.

You already noticed that when looking at the next patch, but I'll make
sure to mention it here as well.