Date:	Thu, 7 Aug 2014 10:03:23 +0000
From:	"chenhanxiao@...fujitsu.com" <chenhanxiao@...fujitsu.com>
To:	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...ntu.com>
CC:	"Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@...ssion.com)" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	"Oleg Nesterov (oleg@...hat.com)" <oleg@...hat.com>,
	"Richard Weinberger (richard@....at)" <richard@....at>,
	"Pavel Emelyanov (xemul@...allels.com)" <xemul@...allels.com>,
	"Vasily Kulikov (segoon@...nwall.com)" <segoon@...nwall.com>,
	"Gotou, Yasunori" <y-goto@...fujitsu.com>,
	"'Daniel P. Berrange (berrange@...hat.com)'" <berrange@...hat.com>,
	"containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org"
	<containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
Subject: RE: [RFC]Pid conversion between pid namespace

Hi,

That's just an example.
We incline to name it as ns$(inum),
like what we did in proc_ns_readlink.

> > │       ├── ns2
> > │       │   └── pid -> /proc/9/ns
> > │       └── pid -> /proc/4/ns
> > └── pid -> /proc/1/ns
> >
> > We created dirs and add a link to the 1st process of this ns.
>
> How much more kernel space does this take up?

Only first process when creating new ns will be add here.
So there would not so many items.

> Is there an easy way to go from a pid in your own namespace
> to its proper node under /proc/nspid?  I.e. if I am interested
> in pid 9987, which happens to be pid 5 inside a container in
> ns2, and then I want to know what it means when it (pid 9987)
> is talking about 'pid 10'.  Is there a link under /proc/9987/
> leading to /proc/nspid/ns2/5 ?

If you want to query pid 9987, you could:
a) readlink /proc/9987/ns/pid
b) refer to /proc/nspid/ns$(inum)/ns$(inum)..
c) Also the link to the 1st new ns process could be found under ns$(inum).

Or as what you said above,
we could do some change in /proc/PID/ns/pid
a) when new ns created, we put them under /proc/nspid
b) create a link from /proc/PID/ns/pid to /proc/nspid/ns$(inum)/pid

Then we could get a more clear view:
1. pidns view
/proc/nspid
├── ns_4026531836	(ns0)
│  ├─ ns1
│  │   ├─── ns2
│  │   └── pid -> pid:[4026531836]
│  └── pid -> pid:[4026531816]
└── pid -> pid:[4026531806]

Then there will be a link under /proc/9987/ns/pid to ns2:
2. PID1 live in ns0, PID2 live in ns2
/proc/PID1/ns/pid->/proc/nspid/ns_4026531806

/proc/PID2/ns/pid->/proc/nspid/ns_4026531836

> > b) expose all sets of pid, pgid, sid and tgid
> > via expanded /proc/PID/status
> >       We could get translated IDs from container like:
> >     NStgid:	6 	8	9
> >     NSpid:	6 	8 	9
> >     NSpgid:	6 	8 	9
> >     NSsid:	6 	1 	0
> >     (a set of IDs with 3 level of ns)
>
> This sure does seem the simplest route.  But it actually still
> does not provide us an easy answer to "what does pid 9987 mean
> when it talks about pid 10?".

Do you mean:
init_pid_ns   ns1     ns2
9987            10      5
Neither getnspid syscall nor proc/PID/status expansion
could answer this without hierarchy information.
For users in init_pid_ns, getnspid needs
an observer pid live and only live in ns1,
or we should call getnspid in ns1.
See below for more.

> > 2. Advantage of procfs solution
> > a) easy to use:
> > getnspid(6, 10) -> (10, 9, 10)
> > or
> > getnspid(10, ns1_fd, ns0_fd) -> 9
> > getnspid(10, ns2_fd, ns0_fd) -> 10
> >
> > And we could also get it by:
> > cat /proc/10/status | grep NSpid:
> > NSpid:	10 	9 	10
>
> It looks nice, but I'm not convinced it gives us the info we
> need.
>
> It's certainly possible that I've just not thought it through
> enough.
>
> Question: are you proposing this (/proc/pid/status expansion) as an
> alternative to /proc/nspid, or are they meant to be complementary?

We want /proc/nspid as a complement for pid translation.
Ex:
    init_pid_ns     ns1         ns2
t1  2
t2   `- 3           1
t3       `- 4       `- 5        1
t4           `-6        `-8      `-9
t5             `-10        `-9      `-10
Suppose we were in init_pid_ns:
getnspid(9,4)->6 (t4)
getnspid(9,3)->10(t5)
We knew t2 in ns1 and t3 in ns2, but we don't know their relationship.
If we want to query pid 9 in ns1, we could use getnspid(9,3)->10(t5)
but the pre-requisite is that we know ns2 is the child of ns1.

Thanks,
-Chen