Date:	Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:44:40 -0400
From:	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>
To:	Grozdan <neutrino8@...il.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: High latency while CPU is under full load

On 2014-10-07 15:28, Grozdan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Basically, my problem is this:
>
> I'm doing a lot of audio/video encoding on an AMD FX8350. The encoder
> process always runs at nice 10. Even so, my whole system feels very
> sluggish. Switching between different app windows and/or virtual
> desktops takes up usually 3-5 seconds giving the impression that there
> is not enough processing power. Browsing the web is also severely
> impacted.
>
> I had to tune CFS in order to be (much) more responsive during an
> encoding session. This has worked out pretty well thus far, but it is
> my opinion that the user should *not* need to fiddle with buttons to
> make his system respond fluently even under high load. The below is
> what I had to do in order to get a snappy system during such load
>
> kernel.sched_nr_migrate = 64
> kernel.sched_latency_ns = 65000000
> kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 100000
> kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 100000
> kernel.sched_migration_cost_ns = 7000000
>
> I have tried 3 different kernels, including one compiled myself, but
> the results are the same
> Kernels I tried were: 3.11.10, 3.12 and 3.16.4 (self-compiled)
>
> My system specs are as follows
>
> CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4GHz
> RAM: 16GB DDR1333
> GPU: NVIDIA GTX 560 with NV blob driver
> HDD: Seagate Constellation ES.3 128MB cache
> Desktop: KDE 4.11

Are you using a kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y?  I've personally found
that that can help hugely with UI sluggishness (and also tends to get
better results when doing stuff like live video capture), although to
get this you may need to build the kernel yourself.  Also, I would
suggest trying the deadline I/O scheduler; I've found it provides much
better latency than CFQ for most workloads, and you almost certainly
don't need I/O priorities.  I've actually got a similar setup (FX-8320 @
4GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, High-end storage, and a Radeon R7-240 GPU), and
had similar issues when doing processing of big (>500MB) images in GIMP,
and using a CONFIG_PREEMPT enabled kernel and the deadline I/O scheduler
has pretty much resolved all of these issues.

Additionally, try with KDE's 'semantic desktop' functionality turned
off, this eats a huge amount of disk and memory bandwidth, and can
easily bring a system to it's knees.  Furthermore, unless you can
reproduce things using nouevau instead of the NV driver, you're not as
likely to get a lot of help.

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2455 bytes)