Date:	Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:23:18 +0000
From:	Nick Warne <nick@...icks.net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [QUESTION] Unnamed syslog kernel logs

Hello developers,

Not being very familiar with kernel debugging, I have a question about
strange syslogs.

History:

I have been trying to tie-down a strange problem on my headless AMD64
box - it occasionally just turns-off if just as if the power supply is
cut.  It can happen anywhere between 2 months or 2 days - just intermittent.

Analysing logs (which when this occurs they do not report anything), I
noticed this in syslog (typical):

Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCL] enabled
at IRQ 22
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APC5] enabled
at IRQ 16
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 1030
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 0200
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 0110
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 0111
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 0113
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: 0362
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APSI] enabled
at IRQ 21
Dec 28 09:37:19 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APSJ] enabled
at IRQ 20

I don't understand what the middle lines are telling me here?

Anyway, today I took the machine down, and removed  ram a module (as I
found it's sister slot was bad) and also the graphics card as I don't
use it.

Now when I boot, these mysterious line have vanished from syslog:

ec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: Enabled 1 GPEs in block 00 to 1F
Dec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCF] enabled
at IRQ 23
Dec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCL] enabled
at IRQ 22
Dec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APSI] enabled
at IRQ 21
Dec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APSJ] enabled
at IRQ 20
Dec 29 13:05:49 sauron kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCH] enabled
at IRQ 23

is all I get now in that section.

Was the kernel attempting to tell me something was bad with them funny
unnamed lines?

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Nick
--
"A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation."
http://linicks.net/