Date:	Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:45:36 +0100
From:	Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de>
To:	Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de>
Cc:	Tomas Szepe <szepe@...erecords.com>,
	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>,
	Hayes Wang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>,
	Marco Berizzi <pupilla@...mail.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 1e918876 breaks r8169 (linux-3.18+)

Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de> wrote:
> Tomas Szepe <szepe@...erecords.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since linux-3.18.0, r8169 is having problems driving one of my add-on
> > PCIe NICs.  The interface is losing link for several seconds at a time,
> > the frequency being about once a minute when the traffic is high.
> >
> > The first loss of link is accompanied by the message "NETDEV WATCHDOG:
> > eth1 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out" and a call trace, while
> > subsequent occurrences only report "r8169 0000:01:00.0 eth1: link up"
> > (w/o the complementary "link down" message).
> >
> > I've traced the culprit down to commit 1e918876, "r8169: add support
> > for Byte Queue Limits" by Florian Westphal <fw@...len.de>.  Reverting
> > the patch appears to fix the problem on linux-3.18.5.
> > The same issue might already have been reported by Marco Berizzi here:
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/11/65
>
> Thanks for reporting this!  I'm no lkml subscriber and thus did not
> see earlier report.
>
> I'll try to reproduce this but unfortunately I am currently travelling
> and won't have access to my r8169 nic until Feb 10th.

I tried to reproduce this without success so far on my RTL8168d/8111d device.
I've been running 40 parallel netperf TCP_STREAM tests (1gbit) for the
last 5 hours and so far I saw no watchdog tx timeouts.

I'll keep this running for a day or so to see if it just takes more time
to trigger.

Do you use any "special" settings (e.g. offload features off, mtu > 1500, etc)?

Thanks.