Date:	Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:43:59 -0800
From:	trevor_davenport@...inc.com
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: process_backlog interruptions with 3.10.47-rt50

I've recently encountered a problem after upgrading from 3.0.57-rt82 to
3.10.47-rt50 where process_backlog gets interrupted and does not resume
for a while, which results in packets not being processed in time.  I see
net_rx_action, which then calls process_backlog (as the poll method to
process the backlog of packets queued up the netif_rx) but then after the
interruption, it does not finish for about 5ms.  In the older kernel it
would finish based on the priority of ksoftirqd.  This is no longer the
case.

I have priorities configured so that hard interrupts are highest,
ksoftirqd next (both are SCHED_FIFO) and then my program is currently
SCHED_OTHER but I still do not see the rx softirq finish before my program
runs.

This is all on a single core powerpc device.  I do not see these problems
with a net device which uses NAPI directly (as such i'm updating my driver
to use NAPI) but it seems like there is a real bug here somewhere.  I have
not been able to find any mention of similar problems (perhaps few people
are using netif_rx these days).

I've attached a recording from perf which shows the problem. Specifically,
you see net_rx_action run at time 213.079014 and then it doesn't finish
until about 5ms later at time 213.084953 which i not the case on the older
kernels.  It seems something has changed with softirq handling or
process_backlog needed adapted for it.  My suspicion is this has something
to do with the work mentioned in 210dc110063cf040d3209fddf766f6fcafccdc34
but I'm not an expert with this area of the kernel.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  Please CC me as I am not
subscribed to lkml.

Thanks,
Trevor

View attachment "perf_script.txt" of type "text/plain" (16824 bytes)