Date:	20 Apr 2015 16:26:29 -0400
From:	"George Spelvin" <linux@...izon.com>
To:	gregkh@...uxfoundation.org, richard.weinberger@...il.com
Cc:	bp@...en8.de, jkosina@...e.cz, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	luto@...capital.net, martin@...htvoll.de, richard@....at,
	umgwanakikbuti@...il.com, viro@...IV.linux.org.uk
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

> It's used everywhere, on servers,
> embedded systems, desktops, you name it.  All languages have bindings
> for it, and it's the underpinning of a modern Linux stack.

Since when?  D-bus is some GUI depoendency.  On my console-only servers, it's
not needed, and not installed:

# dpkg-query -s libdbus-1-3 dbus
dpkg-query: package 'libdbus-1-3' is not installed and no information is available
dpkg-query: package 'dbus' is not installed and no information is available
# dpkg-query -l \*dbus\*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching *dbus*

It's also not needed on a basic GUI system.  Firefox complains about saving
preferences if it's not running, but runs just fine:

$ pgrep dbus
$ ps 6570 19644 25779 29487 29492
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
 6570 ?        Sl     1:48 iceweasel
19644 ?        Sl     0:29 /usr/bin/vlc -I qt4
25779 ?        Sl     0:16 rhythmbox
29487 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/gnumeric
29492 ?        Sl     0:01 /usr/bin/gimp
$

Richard Weinberger wrote:
> kdbus will be a major hard-dependency for every non-trivial userland.
> Like cgroups...

and

> We're all forced to use cgroups, systemd, udev unless we want to have busybox
> as userland. That's a fact.

My daily desktop also has
# CONFIG_CGROUPS is not set

And no systemd.  Udev actually does something useful, so I have it on my
desktop, but I have machines with a static /dev instead.