Date:	Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:30:32 -0400
From:	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>
To:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	Harald Hoyer <harald@...hat.com>
CC:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>, Havoc Pennington <hp@...ox.com>,
	Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>,
	Daniel Mack <daniel@...que.org>,
	One Thousand Gnomes <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Lukasz Skalski <l.skalski@...sung.com>,
	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, Tom Gundersen <teg@...m.no>,
	David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@...il.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	John Stoffel <john@...ffel.org>,
	Djalal Harouni <tixxdz@...ndz.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

On 2015-04-29 14:54, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2015 5:48 AM, "Harald Hoyer" <harald@...hat.com> wrote:
>>
>>   * Being in the kernel closes a lot of races which can't be fixed with
>>     the current userspace solutions.  For example, with kdbus, there is a
>>     way a client can disconnect from a bus, but do so only if no further
>>     messages present in its queue, which is crucial for implementing
>>     race-free "exit-on-idle" services
>
> This can be implemented in userspace.
>
> Client to dbus daemon: may I exit now?
> Dbus daemon to client: yes (and no more messages) or no

Depending on how this is implemented, there would be a potential issue
if a message arrived for the client after the daemon told it it could
exit, but before it finished shutdown, in which case the message might
get lost.

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (2967 bytes)