Date:	Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:18:07 +0100
From:	Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>
To:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	<linux-next@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"pi-cheng.chen" <pi-cheng.chen@...aro.org>,
	Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...mgrid.com>
Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Aug 31 (new arm, arm64, s390 failures)

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 08:47:07 -0700
Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> On 08/31/2015 08:31 AM, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:17:36 -0700
> > Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guenter,
> >
> >> Qemu test results:
> >> 	total: 85 pass: 74 fail: 11
> >> Failed tests:
> >> 	arm:vexpress-a9:arm_vexpress_defconfig:vexpress-v2p-ca9
> >> 	arm:vexpress-a15:arm_vexpress_defconfig:vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1
> >> 	arm:vexpress-a9:multi_v7_defconfig:vexpress-v2p-ca9
> >> 	arm:vexpress-a15:multi_v7_defconfig:vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1
> >> 	arm:realview-pb-a8:arm_realview_pb_defconfig
> >> 	arm:realview-eb:arm_realview_eb_defconfig
> >> 	mips:fuloong2e_defconfig
> >> 	xtensa:dc232b:lx60:xtensa_defconfig
> >> 	xtensa:dc232b:kc705:xtensa_defconfig
> >> 	xtensa:dc233c:ml605:generic_kc705_defconfig
> >> 	xtensa:dc233c:kc705:generic_kc705_defconfi
> >>
> >> Notable new failures (since next-20150828) are the s390 build failures,
> >> the arm64 build failure, and the arm qemu test failures.
> >>

> > [...]
> >
> >> The qemu arm tests all fail silently, meaning there is no console
> >> output. Bisect points to 'irqchip/GIC: Convert to EOImode == 1'.
> >> Bisect log attached.
> >
> > Could you give me a qemu command-line I can use to track this down?
> > Real HW seems happy enough, from what I can see...
> >

> That is what I was most concerned about :-(. Unfortunately, it
> affects many of the most widely used arm qemu emulations, so it
> would be very desirable to get this fixed, either in the kernel
> or in qemu.
>
> See https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test, specifically
> https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test/tree/master/rootfs/arm/.
> run-qemu-arm.sh includes the various command lines and configurations.
>
> Note that some of the tests require a patched version of qemu.
> The tests failing above should all work with the latest published
> version of qemu (2.4), though.
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help tracking
> this down.

I give it a quick go with qemu 2.1.2 as installed on my laptop, and the
results are interesting:

- With -next as of today, qemu segfaults. Humpffff.

- If I use my branch that contains the EOImode==1 patch, the system
  boots normally.

So there is an interaction between this patch and whatever is in -next
at the moment, but that patch on its own is not what triggers the issue.

I need to build a more recent version of qemu, but the above doesn't
fill be with confidence...

Thanks,

	M.
--