Date:	Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:18:53 -0700
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@...hip.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>,
	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
	Paul McKenney <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	"mtk.manpages@...il.com" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
	"dvhart@...radead.org" <dvhart@...radead.org>,
	"dave@...olabs.net" <dave@...olabs.net>,
	"Vineet.Gupta1@...opsys.com" <Vineet.Gupta1@...opsys.com>,
	"ralf@...ux-mips.org" <ralf@...ux-mips.org>,
	"ddaney@...iumnetworks.com" <ddaney@...iumnetworks.com>,
	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	Richard Henderson <rth@...ddle.net>
Subject: Re: futex atomic vs ordering constraints

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org> wrote:

> So I'm reading that code like:
>
>         MB
>  [RmW]  ret = *val += i
>

> So what is stopping later memory ops like:
>
>    [R]  a = *foo
>    [S]  *bar = b
>
> From getting reordered with the RmW, like:
>
>         MB
>
>    [R]  a = *foo
>    [S]  *bar = b
>
>  [RmW]  ret = *val += i

So I do agree that for the atomic futex operation to be usable for
locking (which I think we all agree is a primary objective), the futex
write operations have to work both as acquire and release operations,
which basically means that it has to be both an acquire _and_ release
op.

That said, I'm not sure it really needs to be a full memory barrier on
both sides, and in particular, I'm not sure it needs to be a memory
barroer for the surrounding *kernel* operations.

So I do suspect that adding full smp_mb()'s on both sides is not
necessarily required for architectures, because there are often
serialization guarantees at kernel entry/exit.

So I think we could possibly relax the requirements (and document this
very clearly) to say that the futex operation must be totally ordered
wrt any other _user_space_ accesses by that thread. I suspect a lot of
architectures can then say "we may be very weakly ordered, but kernel
entry/exit implies enough synchronization that we do not need any
futher memory barriers".

For example, on x86, the locked instructions are obviously already
sufficiently strong, but even if they weren't, kernel entry/exit is
documented to be a serializing instruction (which is something
insanely much stronger than just memory ordering). And I suspect there
are similar issues on a lot of architectures where the memory ordering
is done by the core, but the cache subsystem is strongly ordered (ie
saen good SMP systems - so it sounds like tile needs the smp_mb()'s,
but I would almost suspect that POWER and ARM might *not* need them).

           Linus