Date:	Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:22:19 -0400
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Alexander Holler <holler@...oftware.de>
Cc:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Josh Boyer <jwboyer@...oraproject.org>,
	Eric Curtin <ericcurtin17@...il.com>,
	Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@...il.com>,
	Steve Calfee <stevecalfee@...il.com>,
	Valentina Manea <valentina.manea.m@...il.com>,
	Shuah Khan <shuah.kh@...sung.com>,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
	Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: First kernel patch (optimization)

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 02:52:06PM +0200, Alexander Holler wrote:

> I've recently posted a proof of concept for wiping files, or in other words
> to really delete files, And it was a disaster because if someone posts
> imperfect pathhes on this list, people have fun trying to eat you (because
> they seem bored or whatever).

People gave you feedback on how what would be necessary to make the
patch acceptable, and you rejected the advice complaining that it
would take you months of "unpaid time".  You were then complaining
that the people who gave you feedback wouldn't fix the patch for you,
and that you threatened that if we didn't integrate your racy patch
into the core VFS, you would go switch to FreeBSD.

> Even posting perfect patches is a game, because there exists always a space,
> newline or variable name which might be used to start annoying discussions.

Trust me, the issues with your patch went *way* beyond extra spaces or
newlines.

> So, there is no reason to wonder about the lack of such tasks.

Greg was specifically looking for patches that could be done in a
weekend.

If you want to raise the argument that we should lower the standards
for accepting patches so that more patches can accomplished within a
weekend's worth of work, we can have that discussion --- but I'm not
sure it will have the end result that you are hoping for.

Best regards,

					- Ted