Date:	Mon, 2 Nov 2015 21:46:47 -0300
From:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>
To:	Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>
Cc:	Brendan Gregg <brendan.d.gregg@...il.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Kan Liang <kan.liang@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] perf report: Support folded callchain output (v2)

Em Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:46:06AM +0900, Namhyung Kim escreveu:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:04:36PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> > > Yep, I know.  But isn't 'perf report' all for seeing hist lines? :)

> > Well, so far, yes, but he is presenting a usecase where what we want to
> > see is just callchains, and we can achieve that rather easily, no?

> But it's also easy to filter from the script side.

Why not go all the way and provide just what the script wants?

> > > I'm not insisting it strongly, but it's a bit strange for me if perf
> > > report doesn't show any hist lines..
> >
> > If that is of no use in this use case, why not?
>
> Well, I think FlameGraphs is a rather unusual case and folded output
> seems useful to other use cases too.

Sure thing, I agreed with that, its just one flag to tell if the
hist_entry__snprintf should be used or not.

> > > Oh, I meant consistency with other callchain output style like graph,
> > > fractal or flat - They all show the numbers before callchains.  And I
> > > think it's easier to read for human. :)
> >
> > Well, As I said, isn't the main object here the callchain? :-)
> >
> > And Brendan's request is for a something to be consumed by scripts, i.e.
> > something like we have for perf stat:
> >
> > For humans:
> >
> > [root@...icio ~]# perf stat -e cycles -I 1000 -a
> > #           time             counts unit events
> >      1.000304391          1,820,038      cycles
> >      2.000490191      1,005,477,007      cycles
> >      3.000657813          1,717,007      cycles
> > ^C     3.917890293          2,804,034      cycles
> >
> > For machines/scripts:
> >
> > [root@...icio ~]# perf stat -x, -e cycles -I 1000 -a
> >      1.000291954,1923360,,cycles,3998167210,100.00
> >      2.000477154,1005608105,,cycles,3998475482,100.00
> >      3.000612612,1345483,,cycles,3998332391,100.00
> >      4.000744469,1005046913,,cycles,3998258199,100.00
> > ^C     4.331684347,1551327,,cycles,3463190970,100.00
> >
> > [root@...icio ~]#

> Yes, I thought about it too.  Maybe -t/--field-separator option can be
> used to separate folded callchains too.

What I meant here was: for humans, we don't want a field separator, and
we want headers, we want alignment, etc, while for scripts, its better
something easily parseable and with a record per line, no alignment is
needed, etc.

> > > Hmm.. looks like that it ends up having redundant info.  I don't think
> >
> > What is redundant, and with with what?
>
> When it's used with normal perf report cases, those other info in
> callchain lines are redundant to hist lines.  Also if a hist entry has

Sure, but if the user doesn't want to see the output of
hist_entry__snprintf()... :-)

> many callchains, each callchain lines will have same info in other fields.

Sure, but that would be what the script expects to consume, i.e. one
line per callchain.

> > > it's generally useful to other 'perf report' stuffs.  Wouldn't it be
> > > better just adding minimal support and let the external tool parse the
> > > output?
> >
> > Oh well, perhaps we could have a 'perf callchain' tool that would be
> > centered on callchains and would provided one line per callchain, which
> > would have:
> >
> > callchain;seprarated;colons series,of,desired,fields,for,this,callchain
> >
> > Which would reuse heavily the 'perf report' / 'perf top' code for
> > histograms, no?

> I guess the callchain code is pretty isolated or can be isolated
> easily though.

> > I still think that this is a 'perf report' thing, but one that is
> > centered in callchains, and that is to be consumed by scripts, not
> > humans.

> Agreed.

> I'm just looking for a way to support it with minimal change. :)

Hey, me too. A --no-hists flag looks like a quickie, no need to isolate
callchain code, or anything like that, just one long option switch and
we get what we need.

- Arnaldo