Date:	Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:43:52 +0100
From:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Cc:	Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@....com>,
	Ming Lei <ming.lei@...onical.com>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>,
	Rob Herring <rob.herring@...aro.org>,
	Eric Auger <eric.auger@...aro.org>,
	linux-block@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: block layer bug with 4.4-rc3+

On Wednesday 16 December 2015 14:55:43 Andre Przywara wrote:
> Using the plain multi_v7_defconfig (which doesn't have LPAE and makes me
> loose half of the RAM on that box) didn't show the bug so far.
> One of the effects of turning on LPAE is that dma_addr_t and phys_addr_t
> turn to 64-bit, with long, int and void* still being 32-bit. Can you
> think of any issues that could be related to that?

Another difference between the platforms is highmem. On Midway,
almost all of RAM is highmem, which needs a lot of special handling
that we don't need on platform with less RAM.

To rule out both of highmem and LPAE, it might be interesting to
test again on Midway with CONFIG_HIGHMEM and CONFIG_LPAE disabled.
This will limit the RAM to 768MB, but if the bug still shows up,
you know it's something else.

	Arnd