Date:	Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:08:50 -0800
From:	Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn@...roid.com>
To:	Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...e-electrons.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Alessandro Zummo <a.zummo@...ertech.it>,
	rtc-linux@...glegroups.com
Subject: Re: rtc-palmas: correct for bcd year

On 01/04/2016 04:00 PM, Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> I'd say that the proper course of action is to refuse to set dates
> before 2000 and after 2100. See http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/541037/
Got it.

We have an issue though, Android (or rather any embedded) devices must
continue to function when date is manually set to any value between 1970
and 2037. The issue here is a fresh device with a recently charged
battery will _start_ at 1970 until ntp or cell time/date/locale is set
and the device must continue to function in this vacuum. A device reboot
should not result in the other calendar values being reset, should the
year be wrong, as this will result in a bad user experience.

We will have to use a different patch on Android than upstream if dates
before 2000 are deprecated.

All other factors (rollover, leap) can be corrected by frameworks and
runtime since the rtc is generally secondary (ie: first rtc driver was
in 1979, created a daemon to correct the flaws in the hardware clock
using a cron job)

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn