Date:	Thu, 21 Jan 2016 08:58:49 +0100
From:	Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch>
To:	Michel Dänzer <michel@...nzer.net>
Cc:	Mario Kleiner <mario.kleiner.de@...il.com>,
	Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
	Ville Syrjälä
	<ville.syrjala@...ux.intel.com>,
	Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org, mgraesslin@....org, kwin@....org,
	Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
	Christian König <christian.koenig@....com>
Subject: Re: linux-4.4 bisected: kwin5 stuck on kde5 loading screen with
 radeon

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 03:41:27PM +0900, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 21.01.2016 15:38, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> >> The whole logic has changed and the software counter updates are now
> >> driven all the time by the hw counter.

> >> I spent the last few hours reading through the drm and radeon code and i
> >> think what should probably work is to replace the
> >> drm_vblank_pre/post_modeset calls in radeon/amdgpu by drm_vblank_off/on
> >> calls. These are apparently meant for drivers whose hw counters reset
> >> during modeset, [...]
> >
> > ... just like drm_vblank_pre/post_modeset. That those were broken is a
> > regression which needs to be fixed anyway. I don't think switching to
> > drm_vblank_on/off is suitable for stable trees.
>
> Even more so since as I mentioned, there is (has been since at least
> about half a year ago) a counter jumping bug with drm_vblank_on/off as well.

Hm, never noticed you reported that. I thought the reason for not picking
up my drm_vblank_on/off patches was that there's a bug in amdgpu userspace
where it tried to use vblank waits on a disabled pipe?

Can you please point me at the vblank on/off jump bug please?

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation