Date:	Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:04:29 -0500
From:	Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
To:	Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>
CC:	Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@....com>,
	Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Toshi Kani <toshi.kani@...com>,
	Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@...driver.com>,
	"Hart, Darren" <darren.hart@...el.com>,
	"saul.wold" <saul.wold@...el.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: runtime regression with "x86/mm/pat: Emulate PAT when it is
 disabled"

[Re: runtime regression with "x86/mm/pat: Emulate PAT when it is disabled"] On 10/03/2016 (Thu 18:20) Borislav Petkov wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 09:49:51AM -0700, Toshi Kani wrote:
> > This confirms the issue - QEMU's virtual Intel CPU does not support MTRR.
> >
> > When MTRR is disabled, the kernel does not call pat_init().  pat_enabled()
> > is still set to true when CONFIG_X86_PAT is set.  CONFIG_X86_PAT depends on
> > CONFIG_MTRR, and assumes that MTRR is enabled.
>
> Aha, so "qemu32" model doesn't support MTRRs but "kvm32" does, for
> example. And so do the majority of the other CPU types.

So, I guess that is a qemu bug?  If there is no real silicon out there
that has no MTRR but does claim PAT, then qemu32 is a flawed CPU type?

> Paul, can you guys run with something else besides "qemu32"? You can
> even take a 64-bit one and run a 32-bit guest on it.

That is probably more of an RP question.  In principle I guess other CPU
types are on the table, and most likely qemu32 is just there from
historical reasons.  We do know that we don't want "-cpu host" though,
since that will introduce variability into the automated testing.

Paul.