Date:	Fri, 18 Mar 2016 18:08:50 -0700
From:	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Jens Axboe <axboe@...com>
	linux-block@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Block driver changes for 4.6-rc

On 03/18/2016 05:32 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@...com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Pull for-4.6/drivers and do the merges yourself. This is the original
>>     branch.
>>
>> 2) Pull for-4.6/drivers-merged, which is the above branch, but with v4.5
>>     merged into it and the merges resolved cleanly.
>
> I don't think your merge is correct.
>
> I pushed out mine.
>
> So the differences are (apart from purely newline changes):
>
>   - you kept the early "flush_work(&dev->reset_work)", so your merge
> didn't take the changes from commit
> ff23a2a15a2117245b4599c1352343c8b8fb4c43 properly, and you flush the
> work twice.
>
>     I don't know that it matters, but it looks odd.
>
>   - Your merge dropped the nvme_dev_disable() from
> nvme_remove_dead_ctrl(), added by commit
> 69d9a99c258eb1d6478fd9608a2070890797eed7
>
>   - Your merge kept the redundant dev_set_drvdata() in
> nvme_init_ctrl(), removed by commit
> f4f0f63e6f01055dfbdb7bc5e83935e1bdfa1980.
>
> Anyway, since I got a different merge result than you did, you should
> double-check, but I think I did the merge correctly.

I'll double check again, but from a quick look, looks like yours is the
better version.

> But I don't know the code nor the hardware, so I'm just going by
> reading the commits.
>
> I also do have to ask: why the hell is nvme development done in that
> insane way? Why the f*ck can people not work together? Why are these
> two different groups messing with each others code?

The reason it's messy is not the code in for-4.6/drivers branch, it's
the amount of activity in the post merge window time for the last
release. And that's why it was messy in the 4.5 merge window as well,
the post merge changes for NVMe, not the history of the patches in the
merge window. But you already know that. It's not two different groups
of people, it's the same people...

> Tell them to stop.
>
> I'm not happy with how messy these block layer pulls are.

Agree, it's not going to be an issue going forward.

--
Jens Axboe