Date:	Wed, 20 Apr 2016 23:11:09 +0200
From:	Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@...glemail.com>
To:	Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>
Cc:	Lauri Kasanen <cand@....com>, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Linux Firmware Maintainers <linux-firmware@...nel.org>,
	Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@...il.com>
Subject: [RESEND] Re: updating carl9170-1.fw in linux-firmware.git

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:59:44 AM Kalle Valo wrote:
> Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@...glemail.com> writes:

> >> Rick's comment makes sense to me, better just to provide the latest
> >> version. No need to unnecessary confuse the users. And if someone really
> >> wants to use an older version that she can retrieve it from the git
> >> history.
> >
> > Part of the fun here is that firmware is GPLv2. The linux-firmware.git has
> > to point to or add the firmware source to their tree. They have added every
> > single source file to it.... instead of "packaging" it in a tar.bz2/gz/xz
> > like you normally do for release sources.
> >
> > If you want to read more about it:
> > <http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg101868.html>
>
> Yeah, that's more work. I get that. But I'm still not understanding
> what's the actual problem which prevents us from updating carl9170
> firmware in linux-firmware.
I'm not sure, but why not ask? I've added the cc'ed Linux Firmware
Maintainers. So for those people reading the fw list:

What would it take to update the carl9170-1.fw firmware file in your
repository to the latest version?

Who has to sent the firmware update. Does it have to be the person who
sent the first request? (Xose)? The maintainer of the firmware (me)?
someone from Qualcomm Atheros? Or someone else (specific)? (the
firmware is licensed as GPLv2 - in theory anyone should be able to
do that)

How should the firmware source update be handled? Currently the latest
.tar.xz of the firmware has ~130kb. The formated patches from 1.9.6 to
latest are about ~100kb (182 individual patches).

How does linux-firmware handle new binary firmware images and new
sources? What if carl9170fw-2.bin is added. Do we need another
source directory for this in the current tree then? Because
carl9170fw-1.bin will still be needed for backwards compatibility
so we basically need to duplicate parts of the source?

Also, how's the situation with ath9k_htc? The 1.4.0 image contains
some GPLv2 code as well? So, why is there no source in the tree, but
just the link to it? Because, I would like to do basically the same
for carl9170fw and just add a link to the carl9170fw repository and
save everyone this source update "song and dance".

Regards,
Christian