Date:	Mon, 23 May 2016 16:30:43 -0500
From:	Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>
To:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>
Subject: Regression in 4.6.0-git - bisected to commit dd254f5a382c

The mainline kernels past 4.6.0 fail hang when logging in. There are no error
messages, and the machine seems to be waiting for some event that never happens.

The problem has been bisected to commit dd254f5a382c ("fold checks into
iterate_and_advance()"). The bisection has been verified.

The problem is the call from iov_iter_advance(). When I reinstated the old macro
with a new name and used it in that routine, the system works. Obviously, the
call that seems to be incorrect has some benefits. My quich-and-dirty patch is
attached.

I will be willing to test any patch you prepare.

Thanks,

Larry

--
If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off
the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there.

Linus Torvalds

View attachment "fix_regression.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1553 bytes)