Date:	Wed, 20 Jul 2016 09:23:56 -0700
From:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	Michael Welling <mwelling@...e.org>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org, pali.rohar@...il.com, sre@...nel.org,
	aaro.koskinen@....fi, ivo.g.dimitrov.75@...il.com,
	patrikbachan@...il.com, serge@...lyn.com,
	Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@...-t.net>
Subject: Re: v4.1 to v4.7: regression in tsc2005 driver

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:25:58AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > Technically X _is_ userspace.
>
> There's "userspace running as root" and "userspace userspace" :-).

I do not really see any difference form the kernel POW.

> > Hmm, I do not think we ever committed for the device names to be stable.
> > You are supposed to locate touchscreen device based on its properties
> > and you might need some heuristic if you encounter a system with more
> > than one such touchscreen.
>
> Well, you are commited now, like it or not, X people did it for you
> :-(.
>
> Because there's no other reasonable way to use xinput --set-prop...

Well, X is going to have to fix it. How am I supposed to control my
devices in multi-seat environment if I use the same hardware (or if I
have device with multiple touchscreens)? They all will have the same
name (well, all mice, then all keyboards, etc). Let's add Peter to the
fold...

In the mean time you can adjust the name or use XID instead.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry