Date:   Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:35:52 -0800
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@...il.com>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:     Dave Jones <davej@...emonkey.org.uk>, Chris Mason <clm@...com>,
        Jens Axboe <axboe@...com>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, Josef Bacik <jbacik@...com>,
        David Sterba <dsterba@...e.com>,
        linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
Subject: Re: bio linked list corruption.

Adding the scheduler people to the participants list, and re-attaching
the patch, because while this patch is internal to the VM code, the
issue itself is not.

There might well be other cases where somebody goes "wake_up_all()"
will wake everybody up, so I can put the wait queue head on the stack,
and then after I've woken people up I can return".

Ingo/PeterZ: the reason that does *not* work is that "wake_up_all()"
does make sure that everybody is woken up, but the usual autoremove
wake function only removes the wakeup entry if the process was woken
up by that particular wakeup. If something else had woken it up, the
entry remains on the list, and the waker in this case returned with
the wait head still containing entries.

Which is deadly when the wait queue head is on the stack.

So I'm wondering if we should make that "synchronous_wake_function()"
available generally, and maybe introduce a DEFINE_WAIT_SYNC() helper
that uses it.

Of course, I'm really hoping that this shmem.c use is the _only_ such
case.  But I doubt it.

Comments?

Note for Ingo and Peter: this patch has not been tested at all. But
Vegard did test an earlier patch of mine that just verified that yes,
the issue really was that wait queue entries remained on the wait
queue head just as we were about to return and free it.

           Linus

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Anyway, can you try this patch instead? It should actually cause the
> wake_up_all() to always remove all entries, and thus the WARN_ON()
> should no longer happen (and I removed the "list_del()" hackery).
>
>                        Linus

View attachment "patch.diff" of type "text/plain" (1440 bytes)