Date:   Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:10:50 +0100
From:   Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>
To:     Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@...mhuis.info>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>, Lv Zheng <lv.zheng@...el.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question regarding power button of Dell XPS13

Dear Thorsten,

On 12/27/16 08:48, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Lo! On 23.12.2016 13:36, Paul Menzel wrote:
>>
>> I heard that you both have a Dell XPS13. I got the “revision” 9360, and
>> installed Debian Stretch/testing on it with Linux 4.8.15 and Linux 4.9-rc8.
>>
>> When pressing the power button the GNOME dialog, asking what to do
>> (restart, power off, …) doesn’t appear.
>>
>> Neither `xev` nor `acpi_listen` show something, so I submitted ticket
>> #190871 [1], and Lv already looked at it.
>>
>> Just to make sure, that it is really a Linux problem, does the power
>> button work for you?
>
> TWIMC: A power button press works fine for me on Fedora 25 Workstation
> Edition (running 4.9 currently, but I think it worked with the stock
> Fedora kernel, too) on my 9360. From a quick look in the bug report you
> mentioned it looks a bit like you might need to enable INTEL_VBTN in
> your kernel config. From the Kconfig:
>
>    This driver provides support for the Intel Virtual Button interface.
>    Some laptops require this driver for power button support.

That was it. The power button now suspends the system although the GNOME
dialog is not shown. With XFCE this dialog is shown, so I guess it’s a
configuration thing.

Thank you again.

Ben also changed the Debian Linux kernel package to select that option
now [1], so this should work with the next package release.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/commit/?id=b825aa9