Date:   Mon, 12 Jun 2017 18:24:35 -0700
From:   Darren Hart <dvhart@...radead.org>
To:     Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@...il.com>
Cc:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Mario Limonciello <mario_limonciello@...l.com>,
        Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>,
        Rafael Wysocki <rjw@...ysocki.net>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        platform-driver-x86@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: WMI and Kernel:User interface

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 12:17:28AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Monday 12 June 2017 19:02:49 Darren Hart wrote:

> > > I have one objection here:
> > >
> > > If two userspace applications start to fight and use one WMI device
> > > at same time, then it is their (userspace) problem. In any case
> > > (how their userspace fight finish) it does not affect kernel nor
> > > kernel drivers.
> > >
> > > But once some "wrong" or "broken" userspace application starts to
> > > fight with kernel WMI driver and kernel driver depends on internal
> > > WMI state, then such application can cause problems to that kernel
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > And we *must* avoid breakage of kernel drivers by just broken
> > > userspace application. Such thing could be fatal for kernel and
> > > could case problems in other kernel drivers (which depends on this
> > > WMI kernel driver).
> > >
> > > I think we cannot accept that some userspace application could use
> > > some race condition in WMI/ACPI firmware to change internal state
> > > of kernel WMI driver which could cause undefined behaviour of
> > > kernel.
> >
> > These are valid concerns in my opinion. They are, in part, of our own
> > making (see below re userspace daemons and the mapping driver). I
> > believe we are at the beginning of a fundamental shift in how we
> > make use of WMI in the Linux world. There will be some rough patches
> > with the pre-existing WMI drivers within the Linux kernel.
> >
> > Admittedly, all of the dangerous corner cases are not evident - at
> > least not to me. This is in part why I proposed we take the first
> > step, and use something concrete to help expose such things.

Hey Pali,

I found it difficult to respond to your points without droning on about some the
positions I've developed over the years regarding open source projects versus
products, platform enabling, and enabling people/companies to innovate
independently. So while I don't necessarily want to debate all the finer points,
I probably do need to get this out there at some point. So I'll do that here,
and then try to bring this back to "OK fine, but are we actually going to do
about it all?" as we continue the discussion.

I think it is accurate to say that you are responding from a "where we are now"
perspective, while much of what I'll say below is from a "what might this look
like ideally?". Ultimately our solution has to start from where we are now, but
I do want us to consider what the ideal might look like.

> > > What do you mean that kernel is no more valid user of WMI? We still
> > > have a couple of WMI drivers and without correct functionality of
> > > them, lot of notebooks would less usable for ordinary users.
> >
> > Perhaps a poor choice of wording on my part. My point was just that
> > for a system like WMI, which was designed to expose firmware control
> > to userspace, it is inconsistent with the intent of the mechanism to
> > grant the Linux kernel a position of higher importance than that of
> > a userspace management application.
>
> One thing is design of some system, another thing is real usage. We know
> that WMI is used for reporting events when some keys are pressed (e.g.
> Fn keys) or used for enabling/disabling of radio devices or controlling
> keyboard/LID backlight. All those parts are in Linux world handled by
> kernel (not userspace) and therefore WMI needs to be handled in Linux
> kernel.

These are examples of the subsystems I was referring to below. We can already
assign LED triggers for some things. However, when the WMI method is
specifically used as the mechanism for toggling the LED... yes, you make a good
point.

> If other operating systems implements above parts of functionality in
> userspace and based on this fact was WMI designed, then it is not fully
> relevant argument for Linux.

This is a big topic for sure. Speed and scale of platform enabling is something
I would like to see us support better. The barrier to entry to kernel
changes is high, especially for trivial things, like adding IDs, GUIDs, etc.
which would ideally, IMHO, be in the hands of the OEMs.

To the point above, the OEMs design these systems. For a long time they mostly
just ignored Linux, so we've done what we have to in order to get the last 5% of
the platform working. This approach was done in a way that is efficient for us,
so when an OEM comes in and wants to support their own product on Linux -
they've faced with a system that wasn't designed to be efficient for them.

The design of the system is relevant to the Linux kernel as working against the
intent of the design frequently results in difficult to maintain code, often
reverse engineered and dependent upon undefined behavior, which trips up against
weird corner cases, updates, etc.

Ideally, we would provide a generic way for users/OEMs/vendors to successfully
support and maintain their own platforms, ideally with as little kernel changes
as possible. If we can get closer to that than we are today with this WMI work,
I think that is worth the effort.

> And if we need to ensure correctly functionality of kernel drivers, then
> I think Linux kernel has a position with higher importance as some
> userspace application.
>
> But it does not mean we cannot or do not want export other functionality
> to userspace. Just I still think we should be careful when some 3rd
> party firmware code which running in kernel mode (=ACPI-WMI bytecode) is
> going to be accessed by more users (both kernel drivers and userspace
> applications).
>
> And filter layer which will accept only WMI calls which are safe for
> currently loaded/used kernel modules seems like a sane idea to ensure
> functionality of kernel plus allow userspace to do other things.

My biggest concern with this approach is maintenance. Because we would be doing
something unforeseen by the specification, the various vendor implemented WMI
APIs are not likely to be amenable to filtering. I can see these filters
getting extremely complicated. They are "high touch", by which I mean each
generation of platform may require subtle tweaks, which will be difficult to
verify they don't break past generations.

> > Arguably, implementing platform support with WMI through Linux kernel
> > modules slows platform support as it is hindered by the barrier to
> > entry and the kernel's release process - while a generic WMI
>
> But we can say mainline kernel has better code quality as some random
> closed source 3rd vendor application.

While I think we work pretty hard at writing quality code, the code analysis
studies I'm aware of (such as those being developed by the SIL2Linux MP project
for the use of the Linux kernel in safety critical systems) support this
statement for the most core code of the Linux kernel, the stuff that
everything needs. This doesn't hold true of all parts of the kernel, however,
with lower use drivers showing some of the highest bug rates of all subsystems
(along with certain filesystems).

> If we look in Microsoft Windows world (where that WMI is used a lot), we
> have there for function X specific application from each notebook
> vendor. And all those applications which doing function X are
> incompatible and every one locked for particular notebook model.
>
> So I'm not sure if this is right way.

There are certainly pros and cons. While this approach results in duplication of
effort, it also allows vendors to "own their own destiny" and innovate and
support their platforms independently. It also minimizes the amount of dead code
accumulating for platforms that just don't exist for very long.

Over the years I've become more and more supportive of the idea that the kernel is the
place for common code everything needs - and specifically not the code that will
live for 18 months and never be needed again. The development and maintenance
models for these two things are fundamentally different.

In general, I want to work to support the development of interfaces that allow
people and companies to develop their new thing, without forcing them to come
back to us repeatedly. "Enable them to enable themselves and get out of their
way."

> > interface to userspace can be readily used to write userspace
> > drivers for these features. Obviously, there are still some gaps
> > with interaction with other subsystems.
> >
> > WMI may prove to be another one of those subsystems where userspace
> > drivers facilitate faster innovation and platform enabling. This
> > also helps reduce the dead code we build up in the kernel supporting
> > devices with relatively short lifespans.
> >
> > > I still think we need to some some filtering. Kernel and kernel
> > > modules must not be confused by some random userspace application.
> >
> > Keep in mind that WMI access will be a privileged operation, and I
> > don't think characterizing these as "random userspace applications"
> > is any more valid than "random kernel modules".
>
> Kernel modules (which do not taint kernel) comes with kernel itself.
> They are well known and basically are part of kernel code.

This is a fairly kernel-centric perspective. It works great for us, but
many non-kernel-devs will have a different view.

> Userspace applications, and if we are talking about WMI, would be
> probably 3rd party vendor closed-source binaries compiled for one or two
> specific Linux distributions. For me it is just "random userspace
> application" which I do not thing that would be preinstalled or part of
> Linux distributions, like it is for coreutils or X Server today.

That is certainly not the outcome we'd be aiming for.

> > In hindsight, I suspect implementing more than the mapping driver in
> > kernel space will prove to have been a mistake. I understand why we
> > did it, and why that precedent expanded as it has, but at speed and
> > scale, the support these drivers provide would probably have been
> > better implemented as userspace platform daemons using the WMI
> > interfaces.
> >
> > > Question about API:
> > >
> > > Are we going to export low-level ACPI methods? Or are we going to
> > > implement BMOF parser in kernel and export high-level
> > > class/function API to userspace with validation of input
> > > parameters in kernel (to prevent passing garbage from userspace to
> > > ACPI-WMI) like it is on Windows?
> >
> > What we have discussed to date is exposing each WMI device as a
> > character device. Userspace would select the method and pass a
> > buffer formatted per the information provided by a userspace BMOF
> > parser. This is consistent with the design goals of WMI, per the
> > documentation. Specifically, that the mapping driver does not have
> > any specific knowledge about the WMI GUIDs or methods.
>
> Ok.

As to the "OK fine, but what are we actually going to do..." bit...

In order to support broad enabling, we should avoid Whitelists which would
require we add new GUIDs to the kernel as fast as vendors can add them.

If we require filtering, it should be along the lines of an ACCEPT/DENY filter,
which only denies specific accesses. Drivers which match a WMI GUID can register
a filter callback, returning true or false (accept or deny). This would allow
for the creation of management tools in cooperation with the existing
drivers, without precluding the development of userspace platform-daemons which
could handle all aspects of the WMI interface (if they conflict with an existing
driver, they would need to run without that driver, which would avoid loading
the WMI filter).

Possible concerns, as before, we run the risk of a new driver being written, or
a new feature being added to an existing driver, that needs to add a filter
which would then deny userspace accesses previously allowed. It becomes a first
to support the platform race.

I don't see a way to both make WMI broadly useful and protect existing drivers
without this potential risk.

--
Darren Hart
VMware Open Source Technology Center