Date:   Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:02:48 +0300
From:   Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>
To:     Aaro Koskinen <aaro.koskinen@....fi>
CC:     Peter Ujfalusi <peter.ujfalusi@...com>,
        Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>,
        <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
Subject: Re: [BISECTED, REGRESSION] v4.12-rc: omapdrm fails to probe on Nokia
 N900

On 30/06/17 11:58, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 09:41:35AM +0300, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:

>>> It appears the reason was that I didn't have
>>> CONFIG_DRM_OMAP_CONNECTOR_ANALOG_TV enabled.
>>>
>>> I think that's wrong. I don't own an analog TV, so why should I enable
>>> such option to get device's built-in display working?
>>
>> Indeed. Unfortunately I don't have a solution for that.
>>
>> DRM doesn't support adding devices after probe. So at omapdrm probe time
>> we have to decide which displays to use. In the dts file, n900 defines
>> the lcd and analog tv. omapdrm sees those, and, of course, must wait
>> until their respective drivers have probed. If you don't have the
>> display driver enabled, it's never loaded and omapdrm never probes as it
>> keeps waiting for those.
>
> Could you at least print some kind of message early in the boot ("omapdrm
> is waiting for drivers for display x and y")?

That could be quite spammy. omapdrm will defer probe if the displays are
not present, and the deferred probing machinery will then cause a new
omapdrm probe later. That can happen a lot of times before the drivers
are there.

 Tomi

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)