Date:   Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:26:23 +0200
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>
To:     Dominik Brodowski <linux@...inikbrodowski.net>
Cc:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@...aro.org>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
        Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC V2 1/6] cpufreq: Replace "max_transition_latency" with "dynamic_switching"

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 07:08:28 AM Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:06:24AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Friday, July 14, 2017 01:11:58 PM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > OK
> > >
> > > Still, though, using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL to indicate the "no dynamic
> > > switching" condition is somewhat convoluted, so why don't we have a
> > > flag to *explicitly* say that instead?
> > >
> > > Do you know which drivers they are or is it just all drivers that use
> > > CPUFREQ_ETERNAL?
> >
> > Well, after the $subject patch it effectively is all drivers that use
> > CPUFREQ_ETERNAL anyway, so it looks like we actually can do a complete
> > switch-over.
>
> Exactly. But lets take a quick look at the drivers ussing CPUFREQ_ETERNAL:
>
> Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL, as policy-setting drivers:
>
> - intel_pstate.c - for the intel_pstate driver, which defers to the hardware
>   to do frequency selection.
>
> - longrun.c - hardware-based frequency selection.

That may or may not be hardware-based, but if the ->setpolicy callback is
present, transition_latency doesn't matter anyway.

> => Those drivers are not interested in kernel-based dynamic frequency
> selection anyway.

Right.

> Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL as a fallback if transition_latency is unknown:
> - arm_big_little.c
> - arm_big_little_dt.c
> - cpufreq-dt.c
> - imx6q-cpufreq.c
> - spear_cpufreq.c
>
> => As it seems to be an error case, it seems best to bail out on the
> safe side and disallow dynamic frequency scaling. Platform experts might
> know better, though.

Well, Viresh should know what to do for some of them at least. :-)

> Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL unconditionally:
> - cpufreq-nforce2.c - over a decade old driver; has a commented-out hack
>   to mdelay(10ms) after each frequency transition. This smells like it might
>   be unsafe to do dynamic switching more often than that.
>
> - elanfreq.c - Has udelay(1ms+10ms) in transition path, so the same terms
>   and conditions seem to apply.
>
> - gx-suspmod.c - works by a mechanism which reminds me of CPU frequency
>   throttling, but chipset- and not CPU-based.
>
> - pmac32-cpufreq.c - for some models, it sets latency to ETERNAL. In some
>   frequency switchign code, it has mdelay(10ms) calls.
>
> - speedsstep-smi.c - this case was discussed previously.
>
> => For those drivers, dynamic frequency scaling should not be enabled IMO.

Agreed.

> - sa1100-cpufreq.c and
> - sa1110-cpufreq.c - If I remember correctly, those drivers were used for
>   fast user-space based frequency scaling in the past.
>
> => For these two drivers, enabling DFVS might be an option.

OK, I'm not familiar with these.

> - sh-cpufreq.c - looks fast, but I have no clue.
>
> - unicore2-cpufreq.c - same.
>
> => For those drivers, I have no clue. So to be on the safe side, I'd opt for
> dynamic frequency scaling to be set to off.

Agreed.

> To summarize: At first, I'd propose a *complete* switch-over from
> CPUFREQ_ETERNAL to setting the flag "no DVFS" you have proposed.

So we seem to be in agreement over this.

> Then, one might discuss with the maintainers of individual drivers/platforms on
> whether to relax this rule for a few of those drivers (sa11x0, sh-cpufreq,
> unicore2-cpufreq and the drivers using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL as a fallback).

Right.

Thanks,
Rafael