Date:   Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:26:28 +0200
From:   Michael Wang <yun.wang@...fitbricks.com>
To:     Joel Fernandes <joelaf@...gle.com>,
        Mike Galbraith <umgwanakikbuti@...il.com>
Cc:     Josef Bacik <josef@...icpanda.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Juri Lelli <Juri.Lelli@....com>,
        Dietmar Eggemann <dietmar.eggemann@....com>,
        Patrick Bellasi <patrick.bellasi@....com>,
        Brendan Jackman <brendan.jackman@....com>,
        Chris Redpath <Chris.Redpath@....com>,
        Matt Fleming <matt@...eblueprint.co.uk>
Subject: Re: wake_wide mechanism clarification

Hi, Joel

On 07/29/2017 10:13 AM, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> +Michael Wang on his current email address (old one bounced). (my
> reply was to Mike Galbraith but I also meant to CC Michael Wang for
> the discussion). Thanks

Just back from vacation and saw this long long discussion...

I think guys explained well on the idea, wake_wide() just try to filter
out the cases that may congest the waker's domain, as much as possible
without side effect (ideally).

The factor at very beginning is just a static number which picked by
enormous times of practice testing, Peter Zijlstr suggest we add the
domain size and make it a flexible factor, which by practice not that bad.

So the simple answer is we use the llc_size since no better option at
that time :-)

But things changing very fast and new feature can introduce new cases,
I'm pretty sure if we redo the testing the results will be very different,
however, the idea itself still make sense to me, at least on theory.

Recently I'm also thinking about the scheduler issue, cfs try to find out
general solution for all these cases and the best answer is obviously, all
the cases will suffer some damage and scheduler itself bloated to achieve
the goal 'taking care of all'.

So in order to achieve the maximum performance of particular workload, some
user defined scheduler would be an interesting idea :-P

Regards,
Michael Wang