Date:   Thu, 24 Aug 2017 08:49:47 -0600
From:   Jeffrey Hugo <jhugo@...eaurora.org>
To:     paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:     tglx@...utronix.de, bigeasy@...utronix.de,
        anna-maria@...utronix.de, boris.ostrovsky@...cle.com,
        richard@....at, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC GIT PULL rcu/next] RCU/hotplug fix

On 8/24/2017 8:35 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

>>> Ingo,
>>>
>>> We've been keeping an eye on this fix, so I'm trying to ascertain it's status.
>>> For my information, is this expected to hit Linus' tree in 4.13, or wait until
>>> the 4.14 merge window?
>>
>> It's for v4.14, it's a pretty large (and thus risky) commit that came in
>> relatively late. If it's problem-free it can be sent to -stable.
>>
>> If Paul insists I can try and send it to Linus, but it's getting fairly late
>> in the cycle.
>
> Hugo, I was interpreting your email of August 22nd as meaning that
> the problem no longer existed in mainline:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=150343524911301&w=2
>
> If my interpretation is correct, then this commit can wait until the
> upcoming merge window.  As Ingo says, I can send patches to -stable
> (and backporting is required, BTW).
>
> If my interpretation is incorrect, please let me know what the situation
> really is.
>
> 							Thanx, Paul

Sorry for any confusion.  Yes, that interpretation is correct.  I agree,
it is late in the cycle, and I am not advocating for inclusion into
4.13.  We have internal processes concerning upstream fixes, and it is
helpful to identify exactly when a fix is expected to hit Linus' tree -
none of which is particularly important or relevant to the community,
I'm just trying to bridge a few gaps.

4.14 merge window is perfectly fine.  I will plan on that.  Thanks for
the clarification, and a huge thanks for looking at the issue and
solving it.

--
Jeffrey Hugo
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies as an affiliate of Qualcomm