Date:   Tue, 5 Sep 2017 14:37:41 -0700
From:   Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.14: PCID support, 5-level paging support, Secure Memory Encryption support

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 2:31 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org> wrote:
>>
>> Please pull the latest ... git tree from:
>>
>>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git ...
>
> Hmm. My laptop (XPS 13) doesn't resume any more. It suspends, but
> doesn't come back from resume.

You could try booting with nopcid to rule out CR4 issues.  I can also imagine SME's very clever CR3 masking causing a problem.

Unfortunately, if it's a PCID problem involving wrong ordering of CR4 initialization, you might get lucky if you suspend with ASID 0 active, causing unfortunate bisection results.

I will test on my XPS 13 after lunch.