Date:   Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:39:53 +0000
From:   <Mario.Limonciello@...l.com>
To:     <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>, <Alexander.Steffen@...ineon.com>,
        <jgg@...pe.ca>
CC:     <linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>, <len.brown@...el.com>
Subject: RE: [Regression 4.15-rc2] New messages `tpm tpm0: A TPM error (2314)
 occurred continue selftest`

I don't know what you mean.  I think this is directed at Alexander?
If this is directed to me I can't change mail clients, sorry.

<snip>

> > Yes it's required for the TPM model/vendor that is used in the XPS model that
> > Paul has.  If you try to run the upgrade without clearing it the firmware will
> > reject the upgrade.
>
> Mario, thank you for your quick reaction.
>
> […]
>
> 1.  Can you reproduce this issue too?

I haven't seen this, but if this is a regression I also have not run anything
later than 4.15-rc1 right now.

> 2.  How do I find out, what TPM firmware version is installed?

fwupd will tell you.  Documentation (and code) here:
https://github.com/hughsie/fwupd/tree/master/plugins/dell

> 3.  Updating to the firmware 2.4.2 from December 17th, 2017 didn’t fix

The TPM in the XPS is a discrete TPM that is treated separately from the system
firmware payload.  It supports both a "1.2" and a "2.0" firmware.

It is independently flashed from a separate TPM payload that is distributed
on LVFS.