Date:   Fri, 15 Dec 2017 12:54:18 +0100
From:   Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>
To:     Mario Limonciello <mario.limonciello@...l.com>,
        Alexander Steffen <Alexander.Steffen@...ineon.com>,
        Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>
Cc:     linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        Len Brown <len.brown@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [Regression 4.15-rc2] New messages `tpm tpm0: A TPM error (2314)
 occurred continue selftest`

[Adding Rafael and Len as they, to my knowledge, also use or have a
access to a Dell XPS 13 9360. With latest Linux master do you get TPM
self-test errors, when cold starting the system without the power supply
plugged in?]

Dear Mario, dear Alexander,

the added line breaks to the quoted parts really mess up the citation.
Can we please try to use MUAs avoiding that, or fixing that manually?

On 12/14/17 20:43, Mario.Limonciello@...l.com wrote:
> [...]

I think I found out how to reproduce the issue. Cold start the system
without the power supply connected.

Just to clarify, I do not know if the TPM could ever be used. I believe
the module loaded but the user space tools (tpm2_version or so) always
returned an error in my tests.

>>> Something that Paul can consider is to upgrade the TPM firmware if it's not
>>> already
>>> upgraded.  Since the launch of XPS 9360 there was at least one TPM firmware
>>> update
>>> issued.  It has been posted to LVFS and can be upgraded using
>>> fwupd/fwupdate.
>>> Note: If your TPM is currently owned you will need to go into BIOS setup to
>>> clear it
>>> first before upgrading.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with the specific TPM in your model, but according to the log it is a
>> TPM 2.0, which does not really carry over the owner concept of a TPM 1.2. Is
>> clearing it still necessary for an upgrade then?
>
> Yes it's required for the TPM model/vendor that is used in the XPS model that
> Paul has.  If you try to run the upgrade without clearing it the firmware will
> reject the upgrade.

Mario, thank you for your quick reaction.

[…]

1.  Can you reproduce this issue too?
2.  How do I find out, what TPM firmware version is installed?
3.  Updating to the firmware 2.4.2 from December 17th, 2017 didn’t fix
the issue.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Are there any representatives from the other TPM vendors on the linux-
>>> integrrity
>>> mailing list?  Maybe someone from the vendor involved in this laptop can
>>> comment
>>> if they know of limitations in the self tests on this particular model and can
>>> recommend a solution.

>>> TPM2_SelfTest
>>> parameter
>>> should be
>>> giving up,
>>> reset
>>> successfully. I'll
>>>
>>> If you're fairly certain it's a TPM bug, another possibility is to quirk to skip self
>>> tests
>>> based on TPM model + TPM firmware version.
>>
>> As a last resort maybe, yes. But currently the kernel's policy is that it only wants to
>> talk to a TPM device that is guaranteed to be error-free, i.e. has executed the
>> selftests correctly. I'd like to change that for other reasons (see the patches that I
>> just posted for details), but now that you mention it, maybe there is a simple
>> solution that solves both problems:
>>
>> The TPM specification says "If a command requires use of an untested algorithm or
>> functional module, the TPM performs the test and then completes the command
>> actions." (https://trustedcomputinggroup.org/wp-content/uploads/TPM-Rev-2.0-
>> Part-1-Architecture-01.38.pdf chapter 12.3, page 83/59). So as far as I understand
>> that, there is no need for us to explicitly execute selftests on any TPM (2.0) device,
>> the TPM is required to do that automatically. So what about getting rid of the
>> selftest call completely?
>>
>> It will improve startup performance, because we do not have to wait for the TPM to
>> complete all selftests. The worst case is that the first execution of a command
>> requiring a specific functionality will be a bit slower, because the TPM has to do the
>> selftests first. But maybe even that won't be the case, since the same chapter in the
>> specification also says "It is preferable for the TPM to perform self-tests on
>> untested algorithms and functional blocks as a background task to increase the
>> likelihood that algorithms are tested before they are needed."
>>
>> The only disadvantage I can see from a user's point of view is that he will discover a
>> broken TPM device only when he tries to use it, not already when the kernel tries to
>> load the driver. But that also applies to other devices, you will not notice a broken
>> flash drive unless you try to access the data, not from just plugging it in. And if a
>> user really cares, he is always free to execute TPM2_SelfTest via /dev/tpm*. Any
>> other objections?
>
> Your logic to this idea sounds good to me.  The only potential problem would be if
> the kernel were ever to directly use the TPM for storing data.  It perhaps might hit
> this at an inopportune time.
> Otherwise no objections from my side, but I'm no decision maker in this area.

Kind regards,

Paul

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (5174 bytes)