Date:   Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:09:51 +0800
From:   "Wangnan (F)" <wangnan0@...wei.com>
To:     Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@...il.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        <kernelnewbies@...nelnewbies.org>, <quentin.monnet@...ronome.com>,
        <daniel@...earbox.net>, <davem@...emloft.net>, <acme@...hat.com>,
        <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>, <mingo@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [tools/perf] perf test LLVM failure on 4.9

On 2018/1/23 20:37, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am verifying all perf tests on Ubuntu-16 x86-64 platform using the
> kernel version 4.9.20.
> I have installed several others packages including: clang, llvm
>
> But, when I run 'perf test' I get some FAILURE.
> Specially, 'perf test LLVM' is failing.
>
> Please check the below error logs:

> # perf test LLVM
> 35: Test LLVM searching and compiling                        :
> 35.1: Basic BPF llvm compiling test                          : FAILED!
> 35.2: Test kbuild searching                                  : Skip
> 35.3: Compile source for BPF prologue generation test        : Skip
> 35.4: Compile source for BPF relocation test                 : Skip
>
> When I run with -v I get this:

> # perf test -v LLVM
> 35: Test LLVM searching and compiling                        :
> 35.1: Basic BPF llvm compiling test                          :

'perf test LLVM' requires a well formed uname string (%d.%d.%d). Please see
tools/perf/fetch_kernel_version . If your distro uses another method to
report
kernel version number (from your uname string, sublevel can't be
determined),
please help us improve that function like what we have done for ubuntu
(checking /proc/version_signature).